DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Recording Equipment and Instruments
 Mogami / Canare cables or NOT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
My old studio set up was a much more random collection of gear and instruments, than my current one. Cable wise, that would be even more obvious. I bought 25 mic cables in a pack at GC, (might have been 5 packs of 5)and snakes from guys that thought they would build a studio and then bail out-selling cheap. I bought up 6 or 7 small studios worth of gear, picking out what I was after and selling or trading whatever else.

This time (10-12 years later and post Chapter 7 recovery)I am buying Mogami and Canare' cables, replacing my few "lesser" ones as I go. Because I have no reference points for comparison (none of the same mics, completely different house/rooms, guitars, preamps and of course, cables), I am treating this as an experiment in "quality through out", or at least my version of that!

What are you using? Notice "huge" differences?

As a sidebar, my friend(of 20 years-manager of guitar/amp dept)at my local shop, mentioned that his store (a chain of 9 shops in Michigan)was dumping Monster Cables, for way too much breakage and returns. I haven't owned any of those, as they seemed too pricey, anyway.

Michael

i7 Win10 4790k 4Ghz 32gb DDR3+1Tb WD+2x2Tb+5Tb Seagate, 2-24"BenQ, ASUS/ROG i7-2670QM 16gb laptop 2-500gb 7200rpm +1Tb-ext Win 10
SPLAT4Life, Melodyne Studio4, Mixbus4, Studio One2, Rapture Pro, Z3ta+2, BFD2+Zpack, GPO5, Groove Agent4, PSP(22), AAS GS2+ EP4, AmpliTube4, T-Racks Grand, ST3 + Miroslav2,
Fishman Aura Spectrum, Scarlett 18i20+OctoPre MkII, Tascam us1641, Warm Audio WA76+TB12(990C+), PreSonus MP20(BB opamps), ISA One, Gold Digger, Cherry Picker, X-Amp, Pigtronix Keymaster, Equator D5, Yorkville YSM-1, Fender Mustang Floor+Princeton Rev, Kurz K2500, CAD e100s, Mojave MA200 + MA101fet, Beyer M160, PV RAB1,+ Alesis ControlPad +19 AC+Elec guitars-baritones-mandolins, bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle+10 harmonicas to bug our 2 dogs +2 cats!
Report to Moderator

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  10:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using Mogami exclusively for 14 years now. Mic cables, interconnects (balanced and unbalanced), RCA cables, and instrument cables (Gold version).

To my ears they are superior to ProCo, Horizon, Hosa (of course), Monster, etc. (in that price range). No difference IMO between Canare and Mogami.

Monster cables have one big problem, their phone plugs are a tad oversized so they eventually wear out the insert jacks for whatever you're plugging them into. Meaning, when you go to plug in a cable from a different manufacturer the connection is loosey goosey - that's not cool.

A friend of mine used a Monster instrument cable on his $1,700 Taylor for about a year, went to use a regular Horizon cable at a gig and the Horizon cable wouldn't stay plugged in. Bad news stuff man.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Mogami or Canare, the choice is yours, but I have Mogami cables that are still on the job after 14 years and they give me a nice quiet faithful signal.

Always fly high
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  3:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your experience DS!

I am set on this course, with the Mogami and/or Canare'. I, too, feel there is no difference between them, whereas all others seem to be less quality to me. I had some Mogami and Canare' at the last studio (my 6th or 7th "real" setup)and that was when/where and how, I decided this next time, I would go exclusively with them.

I had enough of the others, that you mention to compare them all, and am aiming higher this time. (that studio was started 14 years ago, by the way) I have had a home studio, starting with a pair of 2 track decks in '68 or '69(one Sony and one Ampex consumer type), which expanded as the industry did, with Teac or Tascam, continually, since then.

RE Monster being oversize that is weird but I think I remember that and there are quite a few Chinese manufactured ones that are undersized, which is just as annoying but less permanently so.

Michael

Old Goat
Silver Member

583 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  8:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Old Goat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always try to keep some Mogami cable and an assortment of Neutrik connectors around. I make all my own, except shorties for the patchbay.

www.soundcloud.com/edwardnull
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/EdwardNull
ASCAP

stuartwbuchanan
Platinum Member

USA
2190 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  11:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stuartwbuchanan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Gold plated 1/4" plugs are expensive but they help keep the connection noise low. Though I had a problem last night with gold plated adapters that all of a sudden my 5.1 surround system had a low volume bad connection. So I had to clean the connections by inserting the plug several times. I need to use WD-40 on my connections which really works well.

Stuart

http://www.youtube.com/user/InventorDesigns/about
https://plus.google.com/112885889121395946070/about

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking of rolling my own, too, oldgoat, with Mogami and Neutrik's.

@ Stuart Try DeOxit! Works GREAT for me.

Michael

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  2:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone have or tried/used the Mogami Silver series?

Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcintalker

Anyone have or tried/used the Mogami Silver series?

Michael

Silver series is awesome and very affordable. The only gold cable I have is an instrument cable, the rest are all silver series.

Always fly high

stuartwbuchanan
Platinum Member

USA
2190 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  12:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit stuartwbuchanan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have been thinking of rolling my own, too, oldgoat, with Mogami and Neutrik's.

@ Stuart Try DeOxit! Works GREAT for me.

Michael

I been involved in Electronics professionally since 1975 and never heard about Deoxit. Thanks Michael will give it a try. I read many reviews on Amazon and overwhelming 5 star but expensive stuff! Need to clean Pots.

Stuart

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's great stuff! I got turned on to it, long ago (could it have been the late '70's -?!?!) by an electronics repair guy/buddy, who worked in the back of a studio supply shop, in Grand Rapids Michigan. This of course was back in the days of tape! The company started in Detroit and had a number of stores around the state. Somehow I think they were/are connected to Vintage King (also from Detroit)

It is superb for cleaning connections, too. I use it for studio/gear maintenance, regularly.

I trust you will find it handy! LOL
Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  10:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuartwbuchanan

So I had to clean the connections by inserting the plug several times.

Sometimes that's all it takes is inserting the plug a few times to sort of scrape off any oxidation that may have been occurring.

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  12:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was the first method I learned at a studio in '66, when I made my first single! I think of that as the Barney Rubble method!

Come to think of it, my first single, sold enough to buy my '66 Band-Master blackface. ....just barely! LOL 200 copies at my high school, though later my mom claimed she bought "all of them". LOL I think that first new amp cost $275 or a little more. My first strat cost $210 new with my old Harmony Rocket II traded in for very little value.

Michael

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was report on how good DeOxit was/is in db magazine, maybe 30+ years ago. (Sheesh!) It compared a connection made with DeOxit (ie male and female xlr's) and a soldered joint and DeOxit was better. I don't remember who did the test or how it was done, but it confirmed (for me!) it's value.

I notice more highs with it, whereas just inserting the plug will clean up intermittent connection, with DeOxit, it sounds like a better signal, all together. IMHO ....YMMV .....NESWAS (that one is Never eat spinach with a stranger! LOL)

Michael

stuartwbuchanan
Platinum Member

USA
2190 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stuartwbuchanan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtysteve

quote:
Originally posted by stuartwbuchanan

So I had to clean the connections by inserting the plug several times.

Sometimes that's all it takes is inserting the plug a few times to sort of scrape off any oxidation that may have been occurring.

I did that a few nights ago with my 5.1 surround sound system since it was late at night and did not want to clean all of my connection with WD40. But this Deoxit sounds promising if I use it sparingly.

Stuart

stuartwbuchanan
Platinum Member

USA
2190 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stuartwbuchanan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was report on how good DeOxit was/is in db magazine, maybe 30+ years ago. (Sheesh!) It compared a connection made with DeOxit (ie male and female xlr's) and a soldered joint and DeOxit was better. I don't remember who did the test or how it was done, but it confirmed (for me!) it's value.

I notice more highs with it, whereas just inserting the plug will clean up intermittent connection, with DeOxit, it sounds like a better signal, all together. IMHO ....YMMV .....NESWAS (that one is Never eat spinach with a stranger! LOL)

Michael

A cleaned XLR connection with Deoxit and a soldered connection comparison, well I would like to see the frequency graphs to be convinced about that comparison. There may be a difference in the Capacitance between the two comparisons which will cause high frequency reduction or roll off in -dB. But still the main objective is to have a clean connection with all your recording equipment and I totally agree with that point.

Stuart

Edited by - stuartwbuchanan on 05/11/2014 3:41:03 PM

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
6358 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  5:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The DeOxit increased the conductivity somehow, if I remember correctly.

Maybe it was, as good as soldered. HA
Michael
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Recording Equipment and Instruments
Mogami / Canare cables or NOT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement