DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
SONAR X3 Power! - The Comprehensive Guide
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Recording Equipment and Instruments
 Best Guitar Amp Sim Software?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bestord

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  10:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit bestord's Homepage  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
retweet
submit to reddit
Hi:
Getting guitar into the recording environment while monitoring a software FX for guitar seems to be an issue for me cause of a latency issue. Using Sonar 5.2 with Layla 24 on a DAW built by Jim Roseberry, (which is an EXCELLENT Daw). Any ideas?
Thank you

DBestor, Jr.
Report to Moderator

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  11:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, After a little experimenting I opted for a GNX 3 from digitech. No latency since it'e external, all effects tuned for guitar.

I liked the amp sims built in with no cpu drain through a software sim. SP/DIF out into my daw. You can save your own patches to a user memory. There are many of these types of guitar work stations and digitech is only one of many.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

stratcat33511
Bronze Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  12:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit stratcat33511's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a GNX as well for late nights, and my real amp for real sounds when I get the time !( and everyone's out of the house !)

There's a few free plugins, like boogex from voxengo, that are pretty darn good-sounding, in the download section up top there.
Check them out

http://www.MySpace.com/EdMcLaughlin

Rezn8
Bronze Member

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  08:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to love hardware modeler's and the Digitech stuff was always my fave but I found it just didn't translate as well outside of the unit. In a mix there was always a lot of realism missing. Just my opinion.

Line 6 Guitar Port and Toneport finally gave me more realistic guitar tracks than I'd ever heard for myself. Dynamics, air, punch, mid freq's, etc. It's all there. Even decent mic emulations of what kind of mic you're using in front of the cab.

To make things even more realistc (for any emulator, I guess) it helps to patch in an ART Pro VLA into the signal path on the way in to your DAW. The thing is, to REALLY make it work it does help to have at least one track (no matter how raggedy) of mic'd cab (no matter how small) to sell it even further. IMO the only unit that comes close to the realism of the guitar port or toneport is the pod xt.

otto
Platinum Member

2432 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  09:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"IMO the only unit that comes close to the realism of the guitar port or toneport is the pod xt",

Well, I would think so since they use the exact same modeling code. It's not even comparing apples to apples, it's rather comparing the same apple to itself. Take an apple, cut it in half, and call that apples to apples if you want.

Edited by - otto on 01/16/2007 09:25:58 AM

drmiller
Bronze Member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard a lot of negative feedback on the Pod XT compared to the POD 2.0. Is there anything to this or is the XT an improvement of the earlier model. Also, how much drag on the CPU does the toneport have when running with Sonar 5 and can they operate simultaneously.

Rezn8
Bronze Member

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drmiller

I've heard a lot of negative feedback on the Pod XT compared to the POD 2.0. Is there anything to this or is the XT an improvement of the earlier model. Also, how much drag on the CPU does the toneport have when running with Sonar 5 and can they operate simultaneously.

There's always criticism about new versions of old models. Always. Personally, I haven't heard any negative criticism from XT users over 2.0 users that didn't revolve around personal taste. IMO the coolest thing with the XT improvements is the AIR II modeling. The mic/cab modeling is really nice. With the click of a mouse you can go from the tone of an SM57 to the tone of a 421 or U67 and it's not just a subtle difference either. Then you also have an opportunity to pull the mic back away from the cabinet to hear more of the room (air) and catch more room reflections. Very cool. Toneport and guitar port have that too though. Plus the toneport has great mic preamp emulators that I really enjoy and find super-useful, but that's just me.

Is there drag on the cpu? Absolutely. My machine handles it well though. It's better of course if you can power that kind of thing with a spare laptop - if you can. I run sonar 2.2 and it gets along just fine with the toneport and guitar port. Once in a while I get a stack dump but it doesn't happen often.

otto
Platinum Member

2432 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with many things, everyone has their opinion. Owning both the original POD version 1, and then the POD XT, the POD XT is certainly an improvement as it has many more features as well as improved models, and it can be expanded with additional add-ons.

Some people complained a lot about the USB connection, though that's probably all been worked out by now as the driver has been improved over time. I never had a problem, so I never understood what the issue was to begin with. I often wonder if this is just negative posts by the competition due to the POD XT being difficult to beat. I'd get the floor model of the XT this time around though. Well worth the extra $130 I'd have had to pay for it.

The orginal POD though still sounds great to me too. I have the Line 6 full floor board for it, didn't go for that with the XT. The effects are limited on the original POD, but external gear works around that. I guess some people had some gripe about the XT display too, though I never understood what the issue was on that either. It's probably that the XT was more complex and so the technically-challenged guitarists couldn't figure it out.

The POD V2 was selling for some quite low price a while ago, maybe still. I used to know the difference between the V1 and V2, but can't recall. Probably a few more models and maybe a few extra effects perhaps, but not a lot either way. The XT was a huge jump beyond the V2. V1 to V2, it was much more minor.

otto
Platinum Member

2432 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  7:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can increase the stack number, I used to do that long ago for something that was causing problems. I'm not sure what kind of effect it has on the system overall. It solved a problem at the time and didn't seem to create any, but changes can be insideous.

Jim Sturm

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you like the Line6 models, and have their hardware (or even if you don't) you can now get everything as VST plugins. It's called the Gearbox plugin. They get around the USB interface (Booo USB for audio...) and just use the hardware as a USB dongle. Whatever you have licenced on your hardware, including model packs, is available as a VST plugin. I'm not sure how custom settings, etc. are handled, but I'm pretty sure it's all avaialble throught the software. (Ed. Yep, all the presets, custom tones, etc. are available in the plugin. The hardware does NOT have to be used as anything but a dongle. - JOS)

I'm going to check them out in March (budget constraints). It's not exactly cheap ($200) and it sort of burns me that hardware owners don't get a better deal, but such is life...

If you don't own the hardware (PodXT, TonePort, etc...)

http://www.line6.com/gearbox_plugin/

If you DO own the hardware and just want the plugins:

http://www.line6.com/store/storefront.html?categoryID=5

-Jim

Old Dog... New Tricks!

Edited by - Jim Sturm on 01/17/2007 11:34:41 AM

ratskins

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anyone shares my opinion, but I often find that recording the guitar direct completely dry makes me much less likely to play in a sloppy manner. Then I can experiment with different guitar sims until I find something I like. BTW, I typically use Izotope Trash or NI Guitar Rig.

otto
Platinum Member

2432 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is, sometimes sloppy sounds really good in a solo.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Recording Equipment and Instruments
Best Guitar Amp Sim Software?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2014 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement