DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
SONAR X3 Power! - The Comprehensive Guide
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Mixing and Mastering
 Pro Headphones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxy

66 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  4:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Looking for good/best monitor headphones :-)

Report to Moderator

Jim Sturm

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  5:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Open Back (My absolute favorite, but they're open, so they will bleed) - AKG K240

Closed Back (My favorite closed back) - Sony MDR7509

-Jim

Old Dog... New Tricks!
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

otto
Platinum Member

2450 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  5:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been happy with Sony MDR7506's.

gvdv

45 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  8:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 100's which I bought over 20 years ago when I lived in the U.K.. I bought them because at that time they were the standard studio (musicians) headphones for multitracking.

They're not the most accurate, but they're good, and they're robust as hell. I finally had to replace the enclosures (right word? Padded bits that surround and enclose the ears) after about 8-12 years, but the part that really impresses me how the lead/cable hooks up to the headphones.

Instead of the lead feeding right into one of the ear pieces, with something like a reinforced plastic shell covering the last inch or so of its length, the cable on the DT 100s feeds into a flat, rectangular piece of plastic about 1" long x 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick. The other end of the plastic has 6 din-like pins which feed into 6 corresponding female sockets on one earpiece (the external parts of the enclosures are made of hard plastic, making this easier).

I've had other headphones in which the cable becomes broken, even with careful care. When this happens, the headphones cannot be used, which is a pain, so I think that this is a great design.

All the best,
GVDV

"If the Beatles or the '60s had a message, it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - swim".
John Lennon

Beagle
Bronze Member

USA
478 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  07:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ATH-M40FS (or their little brother the ATH-M30).
Sennheiser HD 280

Q6600 2.4GHz
4G DDR2 RAM
M-audio Delta 44
Sonar 8 PE
Behringer 2031A's
Mackie CR1604
http://www.beaglesound.com

gvdv

45 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, Otto and Beagle (and everyone else who posts in reply to this topic),
Can you say a few words about why you like the headphones that you recommend/talk about? I would find it useful to hear a bit about your reasons for these recommendations, partly because what you say may encourage or discourage me from going out and trying these units out.

Thanks,
GVDV.

"If the Beatles or the '60s had a message, it was 'Learn to Swim'. And once you've learned - swim".
John Lennon

Beagle
Bronze Member

USA
478 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  12:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ATH's are "hot" in today's market for home studio, and they're pretty good. I actually have the 30's and not the 40's, but the only difference is a little bit of frequency response range. They're not super comfortable, but they're really good flat response and have clear, good volume output. Isolation is pretty good, but not as good as the Senn's.

the Sennheiser's are my favorites, but my last pair have the headband broken on them. They're not quite as flat as the AT's, so you might have to adjust your mixes for that. They're just a little high in the mid-range, but they are SUPER comfy and have really good isolation. I love using these for tracking (until the headband broke), and typically use the slightly flatter AT's for any mixing that I have to do with cans.

Note - most of the time I don't mix with cans. There are times I feel it necessary, however.

Q6600 2.4GHz
4G DDR2 RAM
M-audio Delta 44
Sonar 8 PE
Behringer 2031A's
Mackie CR1604
http://www.beaglesound.com

Skyline

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  04:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Skyline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used Beyer DT770s for a long time and was very pleased with them, but then I splashed out on the Sennheiser HF650 which are in another league. This is one area where you really do get what you pay for and I'd always recommend you get the best ones you can possibly stretch to price-wise.

my bio
my band
my songs

Jrel

3 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jrel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline

I used Beyer DT770s for a long time and was very pleased with them, but then I splashed out on the Sennheiser HF650 which are in another league. This is one area where you really do get what you pay for and I'd always recommend you get the best ones you can possibly stretch to price-wise.

I second that about the open back Sennheiser HD650s. They are light, comfortable and they seem to accurately reproduce the full sound spectrum (of human hearing). The bass response is also outstanding. You do get what you pay for.

I also have a pair of closed Sennheiser 280s which I use sometimes when I need absolute quiet; but I prefer using the 650s since the 280s fit my head a bit tightly and the sound pressure fatigues my ears faster than wearing the open backs.

www.myspace.com/jrel01

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1438 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  10:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use akg 271 studios.

Rezn8
Bronze Member

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i use my akg 44's i get pretty nice results because they're so harsh. The response is super flat with no hype anywhere. slide on the sonys and you're in heaven. flip over to monitors and the mix sounds fab.

stratcat33511
Bronze Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit stratcat33511's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Audio Technica
ATH M40 f/s

http://www.MySpace.com/EdMcLaughlin

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1438 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  09:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a big difference between agk 44s which are about 26 dollars and akg 271 studios which are about 300 dollars plus,they have a switch that cuts them off, when you take them off to prevent mic spill and feedback. there are of course way more expensive headphones out there.

greg555
Bronze Member

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My input: I really like the Sennheiser HD 280's and the first pair I had, the headband broke also. But I liked the sound so much that I bought another pair. A co-worker showed me his supposed noise canceling Bose phones and I didnt tell Him that my Sennheiser's sounded better and they were cheaper. I guess millions of people think they have to have the Bose ones cause they see them on TV and in magazines.

Greg

alkie
Bronze Member

Canada
329 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit alkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use my Numark HF125`s first(cheap $20 set)then if i like the sound i`m getting, i change to my AKG K 512`s to make sure everything is OK, then and only then i`ll ask my wife if she`d give me her opinion on my song so i can hear it through my Logitech Z10`s. P.S. DON`T TELL HER PLEASE LOL or i`ll never get to listen to my speakers ever again LOL.

Sonar 8 P.E.My Soundclick Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Mixing and Mastering
Pro Headphones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2014 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement