DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Computers (DAWs) and Soundcards
 PC DAW - Scott's New Sweetwater Creation Station
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

otto
Platinum Member

3002 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one as well as the less expensive model below it can have up to 4 gig. As I say, I think that's how Scott got his if I recall correctly. He loaded up the RAM. ASUS is an excellent motherboard too:

4GB Dual-DDR400 Memory virtually eliminates system bottlenecks

Here are the complete specs:

Creation Station RackDual3.4/3.0 Motherboard

For our top-of-the-line PCs we needed the best motherboard available with features that were grounded in audio production. Using the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, this Creation Station can drive a Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel system in a one-room project studio or be the centerpiece of a networked production facility!

What Makes This Motherboard Perfect for Audio and Music Production?

Approved by Digidesign for use with Pro Tools|HD!
Used by many DAWs, Hyper-Threading is built-in.
Integrated Artificial Intelligence makes this system even more reliable!
Optimized features for pro audio workstations.

Support for Pro Tools|HD
Since Creation Stations are designed from the ground up to power Pro Tools|HD, only Digidesign approved motherboard and chipsets will do. We selected the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe. Based on Intel's 865PE chipset, both motherboard and chipset are Digidesign approved for Pro Tools. The all-new motherboard supports the latest Pentium 4 on 800MHz FSB for blistering performance - Its dual-channel DDR architecture prevents system bottlenecks, an essential feature when running numerous plug-ins and virtual instruments along with audio tracks. The P4P800-E Deluxe also features Hyper-Threading Technology, which enables a single processor to act like a dual processor.

Hyper-Threading - Built-In
Hyper-Threading factored heavily into our choice of motherboards since many of our professional clients use Sonar 4 to produce tracks. SONAR, for instance, has been optimized to take advantage of hyper-threading for enhanced performance.

Artificial Intelligence For Improved Stability
Finally, the P4P800-E Deluxe features ASUS' revolutionary AI (Artificial Intelligence) features for improved system stability and reliability. The audio industry standard P4P800-E delivers a full-value, high-performance solution for the most demanding audio processing tasks.

P4P800-E Audio Production Optimizing Features:
Expansion Slots - Extra PCI slots are very necessary for audio production, particularly in the case of Pro Tools. With 5 PCI expansion slots, you can run a Pro Tools HD3 Accel system and still have 2 slots available to power 2 Universal Audio UAD-1 Powered Plug-in cards. Creation Station PCs feature the ability to run dual VGA monitors, but if you are composing for intensive 3-D animation, there is also a 1 x AGP Pro/ 8X/ 4X (0.8V, 1.5V only) slot available as well. Finally, the P4P800-E has a 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi slot for optional wireless LAN upgrade.

Dual-Channel DDR400 - Dual-channel DDR technology doubles the bandwidth of your system memory and hence boost the system performance to outperform any memory existing solutions in the market. System bottlenecks are eliminated with balanced architecture and peak bandwidths up to 6.4GB/s.

Intel PAT - P4P800-E's built-in Intel PAT (Intel Performance Acceleration Technology) is a trigger for extreme performance. It helps to boost performance by 3~5%.

Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA - Professional studios with networked digital studios working multiple sessions require a RAID system for data storage; The P4P800-E Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. A Promise SATA controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 10 functions with Max. 2 Ultra ATA 133 ports and 2 SATA HD ports, enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4 of the ports. With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can co-exist.

Intel Gigabit LAN - In planning for the networking needs of large multi-room production facilities we chose this motherboard for its Intel Gigabit LAN implementation. With Intel CSA-based Gigabit LAN controller, network data can be transferred at a much higher rate with lower latency. This new interface performs networking tasks more efficiently, and achieves bi-directional gigabit speeds.

AI BIOS - Whenever BIOS gets corrupted, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2 allows users to reboot the computer and perform an smart auto-recovery procedure through the motherboard support CD.

Q-Fan - As part of our scheme to make the quietest PC possible for placement in a control room, ASUS Q-fan technology was a major determining factor. This unique technology intelligently and automatically adjusts CPU fan speeds according to system load and temperature, enabling users to work in a distraction-free environment with minimal noise.

AGP8X/Pro - While our systems already support dual VGA monitoring, composers in animation houses working in 3-D can take advantage of AGP8X/Pro. AGP8X (AGP 3.0) is the next generation VGA interface specification that enables enhanced graphics performance with high bandwidth up to 2.12GB/s.

ICH5R with Integrated SATA and RAID 0, 1 - Intel is the world's first chipset maker to integrate Serial ATA (SATA) and RAID 0, 1 functions into the South Bridge. The latest ICH5R chipset now delivers 150MB/s fast data transfer (SATA) and striping performance to enhance computing efficiency - Again, a logical choice for audio recording and playback.

IEEE 1394 interface - IEEE 1394 interface provides high-speed digital interface for audio / video appliances such as audio interfaces, storage peripherals, digital television, digital video camcorders, & other PC portable devices.

8 USB 2.0 ports supports - USB 2.0 is the latest connectivity standard for next generation components and peripherals. Backwards compatible with current USB 1.1 peripherals, USB 2.0 delivers transfer speeds up to 40 times faster at 480Mb/s, for easy connectivity and ultra-fast data transfers. With the number of music peripherals using USB connectivity such as keyboards, control surfaces, MIDI and audio interfaces, and ilok accounts, 8 USB ports is a distinct advantage.

The ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Features:

Intel P4 3.2Ghz/800FSB for ultra fast audio processing
Intel 865PE Chipset approved by Digidesign for Pro Tools HD and LE systems.
800 MHz FSB
Intel PAT for performance boost
Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA network storage solutions for multi-room production facilities.
Intel Gigabit LAN network solution for multi-room production facilities.
ASUS AI features for optimum system reliability.

So can this less expensive model of theirs as well:

Creation Station RackDual2.6 & DualTower2.6 Motherboard

For the Creation Station RackDual2.6 and DualTower2.6 we needed the best motherboard available with features that were grounded in audio production. Using the ASUS P5LD2 motherboard, these Creation Stations can drive a Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel system in a one-room project studio or be the centerpiece of a networked production facility!

What Makes This Motherboard Perfect for Audio and Music Production?

Approved by Digidesign for use with Pro Tools|HD!
Used by many DAWs, Hyper-Threading is built-in.
Integrated Artificial Intelligence makes this system even more reliable!
Optimized features for pro audio workstations.

Support for Pro Tools|HD
Since Creation Stations are designed from the ground up to power Pro Tools|HD, only Digidesign approved motherboard and chipsets will do. We selected the ASUS P5LD2. Based on Intel's 945P chipset, both motherboard and chipset are Digidesign approved for Pro Tools. The all-new motherboard supports the latest Pentium D on 533MHz FSB for blistering performance. Its dual-channel DDR architecture prevents system bottlenecks, an essential feature when running numerous plug-ins and virtual instruments along with audio tracks. The P5LD2 also supports Hyper-Threading Technology, which enables a single processor to act like a dual processor.

Hyper-Threading - Built-In
Hyper-Threading factored heavily into our choice of motherboards since many of our professional clients use SONAR 5 to produce tracks. SONAR has been optimized to take advantage of hyper-threading for enhanced performance.

Artificial Intelligence For Improved Stability
Finally, the P5LD2 features ASUS' revolutionary AI (Artificial Intelligence) features for improved system stability and reliability. The audio industry standard P5LD2 delivers a full-value, high-performance solution for the most demanding audio processing tasks.

P5LD2 Audio Production Optimizing Features:
Expansion Slots - Extra PCI slots are very necessary for audio production, particularly in the case of Pro Tools. With 3 PCI expansion slots, you can run a Pro Tools HD3 Accel system. These Creation Station PCs also feature three PCIe 1x slots (two available) for compatibility with the latest peripheral cards. Finally, the P5LD2 has a 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi slot for optional wireless LAN upgrade.

Dual-Channel DDR2/533 - Dual-channel DDR2 technology doubles the bandwidth of your system memory and hence boost the system performance to outperform any memory existing solutions in the market. System bottlenecks are eliminated with balanced architecture and peak bandwidths up to 6.4GB/s.

Intel PAT - P5LD2's built-in Intel PAT (Intel Performance Acceleration Technology) is a trigger for extreme performance. It helps to boost performance by 3~5%.

Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA - Professional studios with networked digital studios working multiple sessions require a RAID system for data storage; The P5LD2 offers the most complete RAID solution. A Promise SATA controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 10 functions with Max. 2 Ultra ATA 133 ports and 2 SATA HD ports, enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4 of the ports. With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can co-exist.

Intel Gigabit LAN - In planning for the networking needs of large multi-room production facilities we chose this motherboard for its Intel Gigabit LAN implementation. With Intel CSA-based Gigabit LAN controller, network data can be transferred at a much higher rate with lower latency. This new interface performs networking tasks more efficiently, and achieves bi-directional gigabit speeds.

AI BIOS - Whenever BIOS gets corrupted, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2 allows users to reboot the computer and perform an smart auto-recovery procedure through the motherboard support CD.

Q-Fan - As part of our scheme to make the quietest PC possible for placement in a control room, ASUS Q-fan technology was a major determining factor. This unique technology intelligently and automatically adjusts CPU fan speeds according to system load and temperature, enabling users to work in a distraction-free environment with minimal noise.

PCIe 16x Video - Our systems support dual VGA monitoring, employing a PCIe 16x slot that holds a Radeon X300se video card.

ICH5R with Integrated SATA and RAID 0, 1 - Intel is the world's first chipset maker to integrate Serial ATA (SATA) and RAID 0, 1 functions into the South Bridge. The latest ICH5R chipset now delivers 150MB/s fast data transfer (SATA) and striping performance to enhance computing efficiency - Again, a logical choice for audio recording and playback.

6 USB 2.0 ports support - USB 2.0 is the latest connectivity standard for next-generation components and peripherals. Backwards compatible with current USB 1.1 peripherals, USB 2.0 delivers transfer speeds up to 40 times faster at 480Mb/s, for easy connectivity and ultra-fast data transfers. With the number of music peripherals using USB connectivity such as keyboards, control surfaces, MIDI and audio interfaces, and ilok accounts, 6 USB ports offer a distinct advantage.

The ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Features:

Intel P4 3.2Ghz/800FSB for ultra fast audio processing
Intel 865PE Chipset approved by Digidesign for Pro Tools HD and LE systems.
800 MHz FSB
Intel PAT for performance boost
Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA network storage solutions for multi-room production facilities.
Intel Gigabit LAN network solution for multi-room production facilities.
ASUS AI features for optimum system reliability.

Edited by - otto on 11/25/2006 07:15:11 AM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Octaveman

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  11:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been reading a lot about the new Creation Station 3.4GHz, and it sounds totlly awsome!!
But what I really want to know is this:
Is it possible on the CS Dual Core 3.4GHz system to run not only my Sonar 4PE (soon to be upgraded to Sonar 6PE)with a good amount of plug-ins, but also Tascams' Gigastudio 3.0?
I'm dying to add Gigastudio to my home studio, but am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate system to run it as suggested by Tascam:

"Integration with your Studio.............

...........You may be wondering how to take advantage of GigaStudio in a Mac-based studio. Most composers use a dedicated computer to run GigaStudio, dedicating all of the power of one system to running their sampling workstation. With the constantly-falling prices of PCs, you can put together a screaming system for less than the price of many rack-mount synth modules. If you look at price vs. performance, your GigaStudio computer workstation will give you much more realistic sounds than any synth module, not to mention more multitimbral parts, higher polyphony and better effects."

I don't have a Mac, but would I still have to have 2 systems if running the Creation Station 3.4??

Octaveman

Edited by - Octaveman on 11/25/2006 11:54:30 AM

Rezn8
Bronze Member

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  3:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not run gigastudio and sonar together but if I had to judge (from similar experience) running a sampler like gigastudio on the same system I'm tracking with sonar, I'd say definitely Yes. That's just my opinion from experience with trying to run sonar and Toneport's software at the same time. It works, but sometimes windows just can't deal with it and chokes. Gigastudio probably requires 2X the system resources Toneport requires - at least.

otto
Platinum Member

3002 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  4:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the sampleset you are playing. Some are intensive and some not at all. Most people that buy GS use it for large orchestrations. I own 2.54 and that uses a special giga driver. I'm thinking that this would tie up the soundcard and you would have to have a separate 2nd soundcard if you were running Sonar. You have to make sure that the system has a soundcard with the GS driver when you buy your system. I looked over version 3, but I can't recall the details off the cuff. I think maybe rewire had to be used to get it into Sonar? I ended up sticking with Kontakt 2, which has been excellent. If I had unlimited resources, I'd love to have GS 3 too. You have to decide if you want samplesets though tied to GS or Kontakt. So you really end up making a pretty big commitment to whatever sample platform you go with.

Third Wave

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  05:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"This one as well as the less expensive model below it can have up to 4 gig. As I say, I think that's how Scott got his if I recall correctly. He loaded up the RAM."

That sounds great, and I'd love to drop another two gigs of RAM into my Creation Station PC. According to Microsoft:
quote:
Currently, 32-bit editions of Windows are capable of supporting up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process.
But I'm not sure what the difference between system memory and dedicated memory is.

I guess the obvious bottomline question in regards to memory is, if I installed an additional two gigs of RAM in my machine, would I see a noticeable improvement in performance with Sonar 6 and, say, a battery of audio and soft synth tracks open?

Thanks,

TW

cjonnes

1 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an ignorant home hobbyist running Sonar 5 on a consumer Dell with Windows XP. I have latency problems and am limited to recording 2- to 4-measure audio clips and using Nudge to create a audio patchwork that sort of keeps tracks in sync. Will the Sweetwater CS and all this talk of 64 vs 32 and PC jargon solve my latency problem?

Beagle
Bronze Member

USA
478 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  1:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octaveman

Been reading a lot about the new Creation Station 3.4GHz, and it sounds totlly awsome!!
But what I really want to know is this:
Is it possible on the CS Dual Core 3.4GHz system to run not only my Sonar 4PE (soon to be upgraded to Sonar 6PE)with a good amount of plug-ins, but also Tascams' Gigastudio 3.0?
I'm dying to add Gigastudio to my home studio, but am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate system to run it as suggested by Tascam:

"Integration with your Studio.............

...........You may be wondering how to take advantage of GigaStudio in a Mac-based studio. Most composers use a dedicated computer to run GigaStudio, dedicating all of the power of one system to running their sampling workstation. With the constantly-falling prices of PCs, you can put together a screaming system for less than the price of many rack-mount synth modules. If you look at price vs. performance, your GigaStudio computer workstation will give you much more realistic sounds than any synth module, not to mention more multitimbral parts, higher polyphony and better effects."

I don't have a Mac, but would I still have to have 2 systems if running the Creation Station 3.4??

I will have to agree with Otto. I have Sonar 4PE and GS3 Orchestra running on the same machine. I have 2G of DDR3200 (although I have noticed no real performance improvement since adding the extra 1G) running on a P4 2.8GHz, non-HT. While I think that there would be advantages of running in over the network on a dedicated machine, I am able to run it without doing that. However, I do not create orchestra music. My use is pretty light compared to most. I've never had to use more than 1 port and typically I don't even use all 16 channels, although I've come close a couple of times.

GS3 does have to be used via REWIRE for S4, but I don't have to have 2 sound cards in order to get it to work - using REWIRE makes GS3 operate thru the S4 interface to get to the sound card.

Q6600 2.4GHz
4G DDR2 RAM
M-audio Delta 44
Sonar 8 PE
Behringer 2031A's
Mackie CR1604
http://www.beaglesound.com

Edited by - Beagle on 11/27/2006 1:33:54 PM

andyriggle
Bronze Member

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  11:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Sweetwater sales tech blew me off, especially when I was researching a Dual Core DAW I ended up ordering from DAWBOX and thought I was insane for sequencing midi in Finale, which he said he'd never heard of anyone who's anyone doing. Didn't have enough cash for their model so "don't waste my time- can't help you bud" I guess. But I like the candy in the box. And that's where I get my software in case I ever need tech support and I can't get through to the manufacturer.

otto
Platinum Member

3002 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  02:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds very strange given that Sweetwater has exceptional customer service. I'd be interested in hearing what Scott's salesman experience was when he bought his machine, and what kind of after-market experiences he's had with them if he's needed any.

andyriggle
Bronze Member

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's my tech. Because the one who sold me the EW Symphonic Orchestra was awesome. Think I'll just call and get off my tech's roster. Maybe we clash. He's from CA and... well, you know those guys from CA...

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, How you like that DawBox? Justin has posted on quad core boxes That sounds so killer.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

andyriggle
Bronze Member

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  11:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's working on it now, and I'm getting REALLY excited. I've been paying on it, and only have like $100 left to go. I'm working on my 1st legit full orchestral score at Columbia, and need to load my new patches into about 30 or 35 midi tracks to hear all the instrument staffs and layers. I hope all that fits on this new computer. It takes me about 4 or 5 minutes to open Finale on my old computer, with only 19 patches loaded. And I have to save every 3 minutes or so because it crashes every hour.

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you do a dual core? If so I bet it runs that. Much depends on what type of sounds you play. Lots of ram for sample sets. Mine work well. Not a wrinkle.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

otto
Platinum Member

3002 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  11:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how a thread about Scott's CreationStation has ended up being a discussion of Justin's Dawbox. Shouldn't that be taking into a separate thread? Maybe it's how these discussion threads move off topic. Well, consider this just a suggestion. If I'm wrong, my apologies for bringing it up. It's just that Scott mentions this thread in his newsletter and people that come to this thread are expecting from what Scott says in the newsletter to find a thread discussing his new machine, not a DawBox.

Edited by - otto on 12/01/2006 05:13:28 AM

Rezn8
Bronze Member

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  07:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like my new Dawbox alot. I considered the creation station but felt I was getting more bang for my buck with a Dawbox and had absolutely no time to dedicate to designing and building my own this time around. I enjoyed what Scott had to report about his creation station. I'm also interested to hear more about his support and service experience with sweetwater and his new box.

As far as your issue Otto, I don't know, but plenty of threads evolve from one product into another or one topic into another. Here and on other forums as well. That's the ebb and flow of public conversation. It's natural. Lighten up and just go with it babe.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Computers (DAWs) and Soundcards
PC DAW - Scott's New Sweetwater Creation Station
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2020 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement