DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 New Topics List
 All Forums
 General Discussion Forums
 The DigiFreq Lounge
 EXternal Portable Hard Drives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  1:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Hey guys,
It looks promising that I'll be getting an external hard drive for my audio work. I've never had one; never used one; don't know how they're supposed to be connected and not sure how much storage I'm needing.

Any suggestions? Brand? Model? USB? Firewire? Capacity?
Otto? Je suis confus.


Thanks,
S~


Report to Moderator

garrigus
Moderator

USA
14504 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  5:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Spanky,

It depends on how large your project usually run. You can get many sizes these days. I would get at least 500 GB, but may be even a 1 TB. It also depends on what you want to spend.

Both Seagate and Western Digital make good drives. Just make sure the drive is 7200 rpm and has a separate power supply (ie. not powered by the USB bus). Many of the lower cost drives are only 5400 rpm (too slow) and get their power from the USB cable.

If you're system supports USB 3, get that. If not get USB 2. eSATA is also good, if your system supports it. FireWire works fine too, but rumor is that FireWire may be on the way out sometime in the near future... but don't quote me on that.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  8:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Seagate external FW has been super reliable. It's a Barracuda, the 3rd Barracuda I've owned. The other 2 'Cuda's are internal; one is 5 years old now, the other is 10 years old. All still hummin' right along. Great drives!

Always fly high
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  12:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garrigus

Hey Spanky,

It depends on how large your project usually run. You can get many sizes these days. I would get at least 500 GB, but may be even a 1 TB. It also depends on what you want to spend.

Both Seagate and Western Digital make good drives. Just make sure the drive is 7200 rpm and has a separate power supply (ie. not powered by the USB bus). Many of the lower cost drives are only 5400 rpm (too slow) and get their power from the USB cable.

If you're system supports USB 3, get that. If not get USB 2. eSATA is also good, if your system supports it. FireWire works fine too, but rumor is that FireWire may be on the way out sometime in the near future... but don't quote me on that.

Scott


Thanks all
My laptop supports USB 3.0. My desktop... 2.0. Will the 3.0 external drive run off the desktop as well?

S~
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

garrigus
Moderator

USA
14504 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spanky


My laptop supports USB 3.0. My desktop... 2.0. Will the 3.0 external drive run off the desktop as well?



Yes, it should but check the specs, just in case.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  11:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that all USB3 devices are backward compatible with USB2.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Old Goat
Silver Member

583 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  6:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Old Goat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by otto

My understanding is that all USB3 devices are backward compatible with USB2.



You are correct, sir.

www.soundcloud.com/edwardnull
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/EdwardNull
ASCAP
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
General Discussion Forums
The DigiFreq Lounge
EXternal Portable Hard Drives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement