DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Unofficial Manufacturer Forums
 Cakewalk Music Software
 Cakewalk Audio Snapper's?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  8:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
How many of you guys use Audio Snap?
I work with guitars, bass and vocals mainly. I don't use samples or mess around with too many soft synth applications. What does Audio Snap have to offer me? How are you using it in your projects?

S~

Report to Moderator

garrigus

USA
14512 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's mainly used to correct timing of audio tracks. You can correct specific notes that are too far off the beat or align multiple tracks (like multitrack drums) to each other and to the SONAR timeline, etc.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott,
Yeah, I've got a pretty good idea of what it does or what it's supposed to do but never really played with it. I was wondering how many guys here on the forum used it and how many found it to be an intuitive tool.
Most of the video tutorials I've watched are geared towards music that is sample based cut and paste stuff.

S~

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  8:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spanky, I don't use midi or samples and just record acoustic tracks and for drums, more often than not, I use loops of licensed acoustic recordings. I don't ever use the snap tool man, seriously. I can see where it's useful for people doing midi and samples but like you, just don't find a use for it.

Always fly high

TWM

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit TWM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it can be useful in certain situations. Individual tracks of bass, vocals, sparse guitar parts. I've been working with mixed down stereo acoustic guitar and vocal (with added reverb) and, so far, it's useless. The tracks have widely varying tempos which are not always intentional and I've tried to add drums or percussion. Huge artifacts, weird doubling of vocal, etc. I think I could make it work on separate, dry tracks.
TW

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  8:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snap is designed to fix a flub. By cutting and isolating a section you can in theory place the order of notes on the beat. But trying you reorder a whole track? I'd bet that's not what it was designed to do.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

Skyline

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Skyline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've sweated over it a few times.
A few months ago I finally got around to ditching my two ADAT recorders and before I did so I transferred a number of songs from the ADAT tapes into Sonar. I liked some of the songs all except for their Alesis SR16 drum parts so I used AudioSnap to help me replace the drum tracks.

I had varied success, although tantalisingly I got 100% result with one song. The trouble is with AudioSnap is that it is not all that intutive but I feel when using it that 'the answer must be here somewhere!' and I end up thrashing around and getting annoyed with it. Unless what I'm trying to do is EXACTLY the same as something covered by one of the Cakewalk tutorial videos I find I'm lost.

I will soon go back to this mini-project, but using the upgraded AudioSnap2 in Sonar 8.5.3 and I'm hoping for some easier sessions. But I might try Toontrak's Drumtracker as well to see if that's easier.

Conclusion: Cakewalk seem to have put a lot into AudioSnap and its development but they may have got a bit lost in the detail, so that THEY understand perfectly well how to use it but don't fully appreciate that dullards like me need a lot more video tutorials!

John

my bio
my band
my songs

tnelson494

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  7:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I record a bit of everything i guess but i had a guy come in once to lay down some acoustic guitar and vocals kinda singer songwriter stuff and after we laid down a couple of tunes he decided that one of the earlier ones would sond good with some drums. These where supposed to be kinda off the cuff songs so i didn't have a click track running and no real drummer availible in his time limit. I ended up using the Audio snap to get a tempo map so we could lay some fake drums down with the Steven slate pack. Thats bout the only time i used it and that took a bit to figure out.

Old Goat
Silver Member

583 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Old Goat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tnelson494

I record a bit of everything i guess but i had a guy come in once to lay down some acoustic guitar and vocals kinda singer songwriter stuff and after we laid down a couple of tunes he decided that one of the earlier ones would sond good with some drums. These where supposed to be kinda off the cuff songs so i didn't have a click track running and no real drummer availible in his time limit. I ended up using the Audio snap to get a tempo map so we could lay some fake drums down with the Steven slate pack. Thats bout the only time i used it and that took a bit to figure out.

Hah! Yeah, I've had more than one guy offer to lay down some tracks on one of my solo acoustic songs, then fight to get it because I don't use a click when I don't expect to have rhythm tracks.

www.soundcloud.com/edwardnull
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/EdwardNull
ASCAP
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Unofficial Manufacturer Forums
Cakewalk Music Software
Cakewalk Audio Snapper's?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement