DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Computers (DAWs) and Soundcards
 KVM extender - putting computer in another room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daleyfolk

7 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Current setup:
Rain Event computer with a Presonus Firebox interface.

I need to eliminate computer fan noise from my environment. Would like to put the computer in the room next door but still do all my work on THIS side of the wall. This would mean I would need longer mouse,keyboard,computer monitor, and firewire cables.

Can I find long cables? Are there problems with doing this?
Other solutions?

Thank you,
Patricia

Report to Moderator

alkie
Bronze Member

Canada
329 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  9:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit alkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
probably be easier to find quieter fans for your computer like
http://www.3dcool.com/
But i`m a little confused this is a RAIN EVENT
DAW built and configured for recording and it has loud fans that`s not good!

Sonar 8 P.E.My Soundclick Page

Edited by - alkie on 11/20/2008 9:58:16 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  10:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This company makes some pretty neat stuff for quiet computer operation...
http://www.quietpcusa.com/
Also, there are several companies that make an isolation box for your computer. Kind of pricey however.

S~

gimmexlz

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  10:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to long cables.

http://www.cablestogo.com

otto
Platinum Member

2737 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  11:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a goal of mine years ago and there are KVM devices that you a CAT5 cable and you can have the computer in another room very nicely. Belkin might have ended up with one. Originally they were quite specialized and somewhat pricey a solution, but all of that collapse and commoditized and I think you can get them for fairly cheap now.

Scott can probably explain these things. I used to be quite up on the subject, but I've forgotten it all now over the years.

You don't just need long cables, but a KVM box. That's Keyboard, Video, and Mouse box.

Edited by - otto on 11/20/2008 11:48:33 PM

daleyfolk

7 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  11:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replies. The Rain Event is a little guy and does not make a loud fan noise, but it's enough to give me a noise floor on miked acoustic guitar parts. But more annoying is the computer is positioned fairly close to my monitors, and I'd really like complete silence when mixing.
Thanks,
Pat

otto
Platinum Member

2737 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  01:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something like this perhaps?

http://www.networktechinc.com/cat5.html

You're looking for what is called a KVM Extender.

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  10:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by otto

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.networktechinc.com/cat5.html

You're looking for what is called a KVM Extender.

+1 on this.

I had this issue in my last house and used a KVM to hookup an additional keyboard, monitor and mouse in an adjacent "tracking room". So I tracked in one room and mixed in the other. I actually cut a hole in the wall and built a pass-thru to pass cables for the KVM connection between the two rooms.

Now that I have a DAWBOX though I don't have those prob's and just have everything in one room. You can barely tell that a DAWBOX is even running, they're awesome.

Always fly high

daleyfolk

7 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the extender box (which costs approx $400) might be overkill as I only need to run about 20 feet of KVM cable. The box claims to extend your signal up to 150,300, or more feet.

I also need to keep the Presonus firebox with me in my workroom . Is there a problem with a 20 foot long firewire cable connecting my computer to firebox? Current cable is about 4 feet long.

Thanks for your input!
Patricia

Beagle
Bronze Member

USA
478 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
without a powered repeater a firewire cable has a maximum length of 15 feet requirement.

here's an excerpt from the IEEE1394 WIKIPEDIA:
Cable length is limited to 4.5 metres (14.8 ft), although up to 16 cables can be daisy chained using active repeaters; external hubs, or internal hubs are often present in FireWire equipment.

here's the reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394

Q6600 2.4GHz
4G DDR2 RAM
M-audio Delta 44
Sonar 8 PE
Behringer 2031A's
Mackie CR1604
http://www.beaglesound.com

Edited by - Beagle on 11/21/2008 5:30:38 PM

otto
Platinum Member

2737 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  7:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are much cheaper models of KVM Extenders. If I recall well, Belkin made one that was very inexpensive. The one I showed was just an example of the concept.

If you take the time and effort to research this topic, you might well find your solution at a low price.

Edited by - otto on 11/21/2008 7:27:09 PM

Jim Sturm

USA
716 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  07:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Otto said, there are numerous models available, some for as little as $125 or so. The main thing to be concerned with is video quality. I've seen 'cheap' units that perform better than more expensive ones in this aspect. There are a lot of variables and length/quality/logistics of cabling is one of them. Short runs like yours usually aren't an issue. Most KVM extenders can be 'tuned' for excellent performance.

Since I've seen varying performance, I won't make a specific recommendation on any particular brand or model. It's a viable solution though, and absolutely will resolve any noise issue without modifying your existing system.

Bear in mind Beagle's post as both a good point and a valid disclaimer. You may (or may not) have a problem with the 1394 cable. I suspect you can probably squeeze an extra 5 feet out if you use a high quality cable (and can even find one that long,) but couldn't guarantee it. Running longer data cables may or may not work. You might also be able to split the difference, keeping the FireWire cable shorter and running the audio cables a bit longer.

-Jim

Old Dog... New Tricks!

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  4:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by otto

There are much cheaper models of KVM Extenders. If I recall well, Belkin made one that was very inexpensive. The one I showed was just an example of the concept.

If you take the time and effort to research this topic, you might well find your solution at a low price.

+1

Always fly high

Old Goat
Silver Member

583 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  5:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Old Goat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KVM extenders are very cool for using two puters on one monitor, mouse and keyboard. I can keep my music machine off the net and still be connected with a couple of taps on Scroll Lock. It's a beautiful thing.

www.soundcloud.com/edwardnull
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/EdwardNull
ASCAP

otto
Platinum Member

2737 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  8:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For security, I have a complete separate computer for all banking and investment websites and don't check email or surf on that computer. So if I'm doing a bank transaction or bill-pay, etc., I have zero risk of any viruses, worms, key-capture programs, etc.

I've always suspected that some of these little 3rd party programs that us musicians love to buy have spy programs built into their installers so the home-grown software maker can take a look around his user's computers. It's quite easy to do that. It's a great way to keep up with your friends too. Just offer a free program to them and voila, you are browsing away at all of your friends secrets, even that delicious slutty blonde that you've always suspected must engage in naughty behavior in private.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Computers (DAWs) and Soundcards
KVM extender - putting computer in another room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement