DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 General Discussion Forums
 The DigiFreq Lounge
 Celemony Melodyne - NOT SO MELLOWdyne!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  4:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
I posted this at the end of a different thread whose title was on a different product so I re-posted here. Hope that's okay...

I bought Melodyne Plugin when it first came out and still haven't seen the interface. Just registering the thing took all day!
So.. I finally get it installed and read the manual... all 71 pages!
So now I've got a vocal passage highlighted in track view of Sonar 6 PE; go into my plugin manager and click on Melodyne.
According to the manual (p.25) the first time you use Melodyne Plugin you will be asked to select a temporary recording folder, which will be the one Melodyne uses to record the passages of audio it records. Okay. So far, so good. So after I hit "OK", that dialogue box goes away and I'm back at track view.
Where's the Melodyne work space with the blobs and the transfer button and the note ruler etc. etc.?????
Then, I found this stuff "hidden" in the Melodyne website. It's printed for Sonar 6 and 7 users:

[Tempo-Based Effect]

You need to configure Melodyne plugin as a tempo based effect. You will find this option under: Plug-In Manager > VST Audio Effects > Melodyne plugin > VST Plug-In Properties

This is the one that got me thinking:

[Track vs. clip]

Melodyne plugin works as a track insert. Operation as a clip based effect or being used in the "Process" menu are not supported.

I have been highlighting a clip in Sonar and then going up to the toolbar and clicking "process" to get to Melodyne". Then the dialogue box comes up asking for a folder to assign. ...Then nothing. So... what's up with that?

[Setting of window size]

If you set the window size of Melodyne plugin in the manner described in the User Manual, this (initially) has no effect; so what you have to do is enter the same settings in Sonar's plug-in manager; then remove the plug-in; and finally insert it again.

[Bypass]

If in the course of playback you switch Melodyne plugin to bypass mode and then back, Sonar and Melodyne plugin will no longer be in sync. If that happens, you should stop Sonar briefly before restarting it.

[Precount]

If you are recording with precount switched on, all instances of the playback of Melodyne plugin will be offset by the amount of the precount in relation to the other tracks. Rather than using the automatic precount, then, you should start the recording somewhat earlier by clicking manually at an appropriate point in the timeline.

[Timeline]

If you click in the timeline while playback is running, Sonar unfortunately does not pass this information on to its plug-ins. As a result, Sonar and Melodyne plugin will cease to play in sync. To avoid this, you should stop Sonar first, if you want to jump to a different part of the song.

Anyone use Melodyne with Sonar? Can you set me straight?

Thanks,
S~

Report to Moderator

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  8:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think you understand how it works yet so here goes as it's real simple---
First make sure that it's showing up in the plug in manager as a vst(simple) then just, like you said, check the box about the tempo based effect thingie. Now in sonar bring it up on a track(audio effect-vst-melodyne).The interface should come up blank. Put your start point right before the audio you want to edit press play in sonar and then press "transfer" in the melodyne plug in and let it roll as far as you want it to track the audio you want to edit. It'll turn red and scroll but you won't see anything yet. now when your done either press stop in sonar or press transfer again and "walla" there it is. edit to yor hearts delight, all in sync.
Wherever in sonar you are, it's gonna sync right up now. you can jump to different places in the song and "transfer" which is actually like a "scan audio" and edit on the fly anywhere on the track it's inserted on.

Edited by - firefox on 08/18/2008 9:27:13 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

garrigus

USA
14510 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoops! Looks like Firefox beat me to it.

Just to clarify something... add Melodyne to the Fx bin of the audio track and make sure it is the first effect in the list.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  12:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim and Scott.
I'm still at work but I'll give it a go when I get home and let you know what happens.
Many thanks,
S~

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... COOL!
The blobs have arrived. I'm messing around with it now and trying to figure things out. So far I've only worked with pitch correction on the vocal. Now... after editing the clip in Melodyne, I just go to "edit" in Sonar and click "bounce to clips/tracks" and that takes the melodyne edited tracks into Sonar? Then close the Melodyne program?
I don't hear that much difference and some passages still sound sharp/flat to my ear... better, but not what I want to hear.
I'll keep playing with it.
Thanks so much guys.

S~

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  10:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you don't want it to snap to the grid, press and hold the alt key before grabbing a blob and you can move it and it'll stay where it is without snapping to the grid. Good for just a little sharp or flat adjustment. I'm glad you got it working as it's light years ahead of autotune.

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if you don't want it to snap to the grid, press and hold the alt key before grabbing a blob and you can move it and it'll stay where it is without snapping to the grid. Good for just a little sharp or flat adjustment. I'm glad you got it working as it's light years ahead of autotune.

Awesome Jim. Thanks for the tip.

S~

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Spank, Just wanted to add that if your melodyne scans like half the audio and then analyses, kick your playback buffers in your host app up. I don't do any melodyning until I'm ready to mix so for me it's low buffers to track and high buffers for plugs and editing.
BTW: how are those behringers sounding now as they should be broken in pretty good by now and you mids should be a lot smoother.

Edited by - firefox on 10/07/2008 11:05:30 AM

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
BTW: how are those behringers sounding now as they should be broken in pretty good by now and you mids should be a lot smoother.

Jim, thanks for your help. Are you referring to Behringer studio monitors? You must be thinking of another member. I use Event monitors. I'm pretty satified with the job they do.

S~

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, yeah,I use events too. I think I was thinking of Beagle perhaps.

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  10:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add that if you track an audio clip with the melodyne plug in and then delete the clip, the audio will still play comming back from the plug in. you have to actually go into the plug in and delete that portion.
It drove me crazy for about 10 minutes the other day until I sat back and thought about it.
Anyway, just trying to save one some frustration.

Edited by - firefox on 10/25/2008 10:27:40 AM

Beagle
Bronze Member

USA
478 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  09:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by firefox

Sorry, yeah,I use events too. I think I was thinking of Beagle perhaps.

YEP! That was me! I love my Behringers! they're sounding really good. I think these monitors are the best value for the money!

Q6600 2.4GHz
4G DDR2 RAM
M-audio Delta 44
Sonar 8 PE
Behringer 2031A's
Mackie CR1604
http://www.beaglesound.com

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 10/25/2008 : 10:21:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to add that if you track an audio clip with the melodyne plug in and then delete the clip, the audio will still play comming back from the plug in. you have to actually go into the plug in and delete that portion.
It drove me crazy for about 10 minutes the other day until I sat back and thought about it.
Anyway, just trying to save one some frustration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - firefox on 10/25/2008 10:27:40 AM

Firefox,
Thanks for the heads up with the Melodyne program. I have yet to really test it yet. My time is at a premium right now but I'll get on it as soon as possible. I have so much stuff that needs "goosing"
Thanks again for all your help with this topic.
S~

jonnycakes15

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using Melodyne for over a year now with Sonar 7 & 8 PE with no problems at all. I love it. My question is: Is it absolutely necessary to make the plugin a "tempo based effect." I have never done this, and it seems to be working just fine. What is the difference by doing this, if any? Thanks, everyone. -- Jonny

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  9:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm revisiting this thread after a long absence from Melodyne Plug-in.
After watching the Taylor Swift clip on YouTube, I'm once again trying to re-learn the program. It might rekindle a relationship I had with a former partner in music if I could make her vocals sound better.
Okay...
I'm using Sonar 6 Producer Edition and Melodyne Plug-in version 1.0
I've transfered the vocal that I want to edit into Melodyne from Sonar. I have the "blobs". I can do the basic functions of editing and moving notes... sort of.
We are dealing with two tracks here, correct? The host track (Sonar) and the track in the Melodyne editor that we transfered.
In order to work on the track within the Melodyne editor I have to use the transport tools in the host track. This seems rather tedious having to scroll back and forth in the host track in order to play the sections of audio I want to edit in the Melodyne. In other words; Is it not possible to navigate to sections within the Melodyne editor using the mouse? I'm looking for a basic transport set of tools i.e. play, stop, rewind, etc. within the Melodyne program.

Part 2)
After I've made all the edits I want in the Melodyne editor, do I have to transfer it back into Sonar in a newly inserted audio track?
I'm unclear as to how this is done.
Reading and trying to understand 71 pages of the manual is really tedious. It can't be as complicated as the manual seems to make it.

I've got more questions but let's start with this.
Thanks for your expertise and patience.

S~

garrigus

USA
14510 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Spanky,

There should be a section in the manual about this, but when used as a plug-in, Melodyne is a slave to the host so the host still controls playback. However, I think you can start/stop using the Spacebar on your PC keyboard.

And when you're done, you can either just leave the plug-in in place (if you think you'll need to do more edits later) or you can freeze the track or you can bounce the track to a new track and delete the original.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
General Discussion Forums
The DigiFreq Lounge
Celemony Melodyne - NOT SO MELLOWdyne!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement