DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 General Discussion Forums
 The DigiFreq Lounge
 Gretsch Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  05:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
I just picked up a used Gretsch Duo Jet. It's a 1957 re-issue. They have discontinued them. It's so damn sexy...
http://guitar52.com/id10.html
Mine is kind of a rare one. Instead of the rosewood fretboard most of them came with; mine is ebony with the classic "thumbnail" fret markers.
Oh!..... I just drooled on it.

S~

Report to Moderator

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  10:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at that one, as it is on my list for guitars to collect. I can see you appreciate it. Yeah, I'd love one of these. It's not in the cards at the moment though. I'm really tapped out, and tapped out for the next year or 2. I'll end up still buying smaller items as I can't help myself.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a tasty looking dish my man. I've wondered how the Gretsch guitars feel and sound since Fender took them over. Post a review once she's in hand if you would.

Always fly high

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  8:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got the CD Chester and Lester. For the uninitiated that's Chet Atkins and Les Paul. And well Chet does play a gretch from time to time. This was recorded QUITE A ways back 1975. There are 4 previously unreleased tracks on this issue. Not a bad jam to be sure.

Everyone knows ol' Les's signature guitar.

I think Chet had or has a Gretch model named after him.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

stratcat33511
Bronze Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stratcat33511's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta say even the base model Pro Jet I have is quite good

I've since swapped out the pickups for some sweet alnico mags and I couldn't be happier

http://www.MySpace.com/EdMcLaughlin

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  01:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know anyone had replied to this post 'till just now. Yeah, Chet has several Gretsch's named for him as well as a Gibson semi-hollow body classical nylon string.
With my Duo-Jet, I have to really mess around with the pickup configurations and the master tone control to come up with the sound I want. It's got a tone all it's own... nothing sounds like a Gretsch. The craftmanship of this instrument is superb. It was made in Japan... 2003 I think from the serial number. I believe some of the newer ones are assembled in China and are designated with the "Electromatic" head stock logo. I played a few of those before I found the one I have now. I wasn't very impressed with them. Ironic that they chose to bring the Electromatic name back as that was the cream of the Gretsch line back in the 40's and 50's. Now it's the "more affordable" Gretsch.
About the only small gripe I have is with the Dynasonic pickups. They're kind of wimpy. I guess that may be the reason why Stratcat swapped them out for something with a little more "balls". Of course, if you want to sound like Jimi or SRV you wouldn't be playing a Gretsch I guess.
I still love the Jet just the way it is.

S~

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  03:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, the Duo Jet re-issue was one beauty. I noticed it as soon as it appeared on the scene. Didn't go for it, and regret that enormously. I'm running out of room for more guitars is part of the problem.

Japan can make one beautifully crafted guitar, as can Korea. It all depends on the model and the make. It's a rather one by one evaluation. They do have the capable craftsmen.

The whole point of the thing is to sound different. Why else by the model?

Edited by - otto on 11/11/2008 03:56:00 AM

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Otto,
Do you own any Tele's?
There's too many of those models to choose a favortie. I'm looking at a Classic Player Baja. ... "Custom Shop" features at a MIM price.
Whaddya think?

S~

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  06:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own a Tele, and I can't decide how I'd like one if I get one. I'm thinking maybe, I think it might be the '72 config. with the standard tele pick-up coupled with a neck humbucker, rather than a neck single coil. I really love vibrato bars, and if I'm playing a guitar with one, I use it constantly, and wildly. That always keeps returning me to my Ibanez lock-system S series, which I'm wanting to get their new 24 fret model. The thing stays in tune in spite of my every effort to throw it out. I just love the S540's, but tone-wise, I much prefer an LP. I also like semi-hollow body's, so I go for a thin hollow-body design too. My absolute favorite guitar for playability and sound was a Fender Starcaster, but it had a 3 bolt neck that was a complete nightmare. I'd just love to have that guitar in a 4 bolt design. It had a maple strat neck that was a dream of comfort to play. The tele's a bit heavy too, and I'm getting old, so that can become a problem. I've been thinking of going with perhaps a Steinberger, given my playing style. I've got a broomstick one now, but it isn't set up to my satisfaction, and I've never gotten it worked out. I love the trem system on those, but perhaps a model that has more of a regular guitar body to it. The broomstick isn't really that weird to play though. I was surprised. It's a great travel guitar too. I guess it ran me $325 10 years ago. An incredible Music-Yo low price. Sloppy detail on it though, in construction. I've got a 50th Anniversary Strat, but haven't used it much, nor the same with my PRS, which is a beauty, but it goes out of tune easy using the vibrato.

The '62 Duo Jet looks nice, Japanese made as well. $2K+ though. I knew there was a reason I'd held off on the '57 model. It was pricey too. I've been wanting some of those Fender re-issues, the surf music models. I always want those things from early youth.

There sure are a lot of great choices though. It seems to me if my memory serves me that Cort had a model that looked pretty darn well-made, which was quite a surprise as I thought that was a low-end brand. Cort? Is that the brand? I can't keep track of all of them. The one I'm thinking of was Korean-made, but very high quality.

Edited by - otto on 11/12/2008 06:14:04 AM

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto,
Yeah, Cort guitars were made in Korea and the company is still going strong. They are being contracted by other companies to build guitars. According to their web site, Schecter and even G&L have contracts with Cort. They're big in Europe as well.

Speaking of Stratocaster's... quite a few years ago I took a Strat off a friend of mine's hands. He bought it from a musician that had it "made' by someone else. It has a late 60's body made out of what feels like lead. It's real heavy. It's finished in an orange sunburst. The original neck was replaced with a very dense wood... might be mahogany or hard rock maple with what looks like an ebony fretboard. The neck plate was replaced by a four bolt to compensate for the extra weight and tension. The pickups are hot... not stock. The bridge is a Kahler roller (prototype at the time) with a locking nut system. It never goes out of tune no matter how much I abuse the whammy (which isn't much). I've had this guitar forever. It's a screamer when called upon and yet can produce some of the sweetest clean tones as well.
They will probably bury me with it.

S~

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  01:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the thing with guitars, you just never know what mods turn one into the dream instrument. Plus, everyone has their own target. Although I love the initial thrill of hot pickups, I find lower-output ones play through my analog effects pedals better. Getting that right combo of instrument and devices, it's quirky stuff. No guitar had the playability of my Starcaster. I've never been able to find anything that comes close. I love the sound of my LP's, but I find them clunky and uncomfortable to my hand. I suffer it for the sound. The super-thin neck of the Ibanez S series, I can't ever decide for sure if I really am happy with it or not. Sometimes its just right, other times, it feels a bit awkward to me. I have no idea what changes. The Starcaster had 2 humbuckers, and in the semi-hollow design of the guitar, it had a nice airy sound with a lot of different tones possible out of it. The 3 bolt neck was a nightmare from hell and at any time, it could move out of joint and mid-song, castastophe. Somehow, I managed to play out with that thing and survive.

Edited by - otto on 11/13/2008 01:05:25 AM

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  11:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto,
I misread... "STARcaster". I'm not familiar with that model. I thought I read it "Stratocaster". I'll do some research and read up on it. Robben Ford used to have a signature model Fender that was pretty cool. It didn't look anything like a Fender but in his hands... sounded awesome. Of course, he played it through a boutique Howard Dumbel Amp. Fender dropped the line in recent years.
Try to find one of those now... pretty rare. The Dumbel amps are priced for only the "chosen few".
I was attending one of Robben Ford's seminars here in California a few years ago and someone asked what made the Dumbel amp so desireable. Ford said it had the best tone in all the frequency ranges... period.
With all the guitar signal processor's and plugin's available today, it seems to me you can just about simulate any tone you want with just the turn of a dial or a click of a mouse... maybe not.

S~

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  01:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fender makes a re-issue of a low-watt amp from I guess the 50's though it might be the early 60's. It has "that look" of dated-ness. I'm going to have to buy the thing if it's still out there to be had at a reasonable price. There are a number of 5 watt tube amps I'd like to collect just to play around with. I love tube amps. The Fender Twin Reverb being a favorite.

The Starcaster was made for about 2 or 3 years and probably would have gone into obscurity except for mention in a guitar book that listed special guitars of old. That vaulted the Starcaster from a complete dog into a priced sought-after collector's item that now fetches thousands on Ebay. I got rid of mine tiring of its unplayability and traded it off for what is now still my favorite guitar. So I guess that was a pretty good decision for me personally, in spite of the money lost.

The Starcaster was Fender's answer to Gibson's 335, but it never sold well. I found mine in a little music store in Appalachia in the early 80's and the store owner couldn't believe I was actually going to buy the thing. I think I paid $325 for it including an absolutely beautiful case for it. A little over a decade later, the finish was ruined by it getting sweat-drenched under the lights. I hadn't taken care of it, I was often facing a lynching by band members when the thing would suddenly go out of tune mid-song and then a lengthy re-adjustment and re-tune would ensue wrecking momentum. A improv banter routine saved us from being pelted with rotten fruit. Hey, it ended up becoming the band bet, when would the thing fail tonight? If I was lucky, people would think I'd intended the strange outcomes.

It was a God-awful yellow, and then the finish was worn off down to almost the wood in places. The humbuckers were scratched and looked like they'd survived a war-zone. The case though remained beautiful and held up like a champ. I thought the thing was worthless and managed to end up getting $600 on a trade, which I though was a miracle at the time. I have no idea what it would fetch today on Ebay, as it was in such sorry condition. I did love the thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Starcaster

I've got pictures of mine somewhere around, or maybe it's on video. I'm pretty sure I took some pics of it though for insurance. Somewhere in my piles of stuff. If I can find it, I'll post a pic of it. The thing is a rarity, even just the picture of mine would be a rare thing. I guess they called it "Natural" for the color, but it was a horrible yellow to me.

The humbuckers were gorgeous sounding. I also loved the maple neck. I ended up getting a Fender Strat with a maple neck to hopefully get that back. I've wondered if a Thin-line Tele would bring some of that magic. Another guitar on my list to collect.

Edited by - otto on 11/14/2008 01:49:50 AM

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking guitar.. the Fender Starcaster.
I own a 1981 Ibanez AS 200. It's modeled after the Gibson ES 335 used exclusively by John Scofield and to some extent, Lee Ritenour.
It was my main main axe for many years but had it's own tuning problems. http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_rig_john_scofield.html

S~

otto
Platinum Member

2728 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  07:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more pics of the model:

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-14-1981-Ibanez-AS-200-Artist-Scofield-AS200

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy crap! That guitar sold for $2,025 in 2006... with a repaired crack in it? I bought mine for 400 bucks in '83. The only thing I've done to it was have it professionaly set-up and the output jack replaced. I'd never sell it but it's nice to know it's appreciated in value.
Thanks for the link, Otto.

S~
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
General Discussion Forums
The DigiFreq Lounge
Gretsch Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement