DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 General Discussion Forums
 The DigiFreq Lounge
 iLOK - Zero Down-Time Protection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  03:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Anyone up on this insurance plan by iLOK? At $30 a year, it seems pretty darn pricey. Also, has anyone felt the need for the iLOK Buddy short extention cable? At just under $6, it seems to me that the stupid company ought to include this with the device if they feel it is at risk as design to be broken.

I will say this though, overall, I like the idea of being able to own the licenses and therefore be free of the company and the need to re-auth everything each time a computer is reconfig'ed. I also like the idea of being able to move to any computer with the hardware key. If things could get to where all of these were handled by one hardware key vendor, that would be ideal, in that all the licenses could be loaded onto one hardware key and it's all simple and centralized.

Of course, better is just a serial number install with no auth procedure at all, but it seems that's not going to be how a lot of this high-end stuff comes.

Since I've got the iLOK already for Pro Tools, I opted to use the hardware key option on my TimeWarp 2600. I guess I might be able to also add Samplitude to the thing as well, though I'm not sure on that at this point.

I do have a bit of a concern about a lost or broken hardware key. So it's good that the option to insure the thing exists. I'm usually a gambler, and blowing off extended warranties has been a benefitial gamble over the years. I'm a little bit more nervous though about the little hardware key. Getting lost seems to be the biggest risk. At least the iLOK is a bit larger, but then that opens the door to it being easier to break. One can't win!

Report to Moderator

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely something to think about.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  8:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you go for it firefox, the zero down insurance?

Jim Sturm

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't/don't buy it. I may regret it someday, but I don't personally think I need it. If I was running my studio as a full time venture, I think I might go for it, but as it is, if it takes a few days to replace an iLok it's not much more than an inconvenience.

I can still work on everything except the stuff that needs the iLok. Of course, if the iLok ends up being the way everyone goes with their licensing, the story may change. I'm not in a situation where it's likely to be stolen; at least not that often. It hasn't happened yet.

Of course, that's what insurance is all about.

I also prefer just loading an application and being done with it, but the iLok has always worked for me and it's nice to be able to just install an application everywhere I need to use it and stay legal. Since I like to stay legal, the iLok brings a lot of convenience with it and saves a lot of money.

As for the buddy cable, I have a short USB extension cable on every PC. I use that port for the devices I plug a lot, because the cables are cheap and far easier to replace than a port. I've had ports wear out/break in the past and I started using the cables a long time ago. Generic cables work fine and they are only a couple of bucks.

-Jim

Old Dog... New Tricks!

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  3:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if the iLOK stops working for some reason, it can be replaced with the licenses without the Zero Down Time plan. It's just an issue of time. If that's all, I can live with the risk.

I'll have to say, now that I've got Pro Tools, and had more time to think about it, it's going to be nice having software that can link up with the Pro Tools systems elsewhere. One more thing in the arsenal. I can see how I'm going to end up moving from Audition to Pro Tools for music. Voice for radio, I'll still keep using Audition for that.

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Otto, I haven't did the plan yet.
Show us some pics of your rig.

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  9:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll show things off when they are arranged better and the place isn't such a mess. It's mahem right now.

Jim Sturm

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by otto

So, if the iLOK stops working for some reason, it can be replaced with the licenses without the Zero Down Time plan. It's just an issue of time. If that's all, I can live with the risk.

Yep. As I recall (and you have to bear in mind that sometimes my recollection sucks) that's the main deal. You can get your licenses replaced, but it's sort of at their convenience - they have to disable the old stuff, re-license the new iLok, etc. I don't know the details. It's more of a hassle, but it is doable.

With the insurance, I think all you have to do is buy a new iLok (maybe they include one, I don't know) and they'll do the switch right away.

That's as I recall it, anyway. I haven't had to test it out yet - luckily!

-Jim

Old Dog... New Tricks!

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first dongle was for Cubase, and I was always worried about misplacing the thing, as I can be very disorganized. So I was always making sure it was either plugged into a USB hub or in a special parts organizer I have for odds and ends. Now I can add the iLOK to my worries. I've also have a Korg key too, though I'm not sure, it might be the same company as with Cubase. It came with one of the Korg softsynth products, I guess the Korg Legacy DE. I think they are Syncrosoft, the two of them. If so, I probably should transfer the Korg license over to the Cubase dongle and cut down on dongles.

garrigus

USA
14504 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  12:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the iLok because of the convenience of only having to authorize once and being able to install applications on any PC. Of course, it would be even better to have no copy protection at all.

As for the insurance plan, it's good up to a point. If you have it, then you get priority service in getting your licenses transfered. If you don't, then it takes more time. Either way, you still have to purchase a new iLok device (or use a spare you may have). With the insurance, they issue you temporary licenses right away so you can keep working while waiting for the transfer to occur.

However, this only applies to malfunctioning or damaged iLoks. If you lose your iLok, the insurance still provides the temporary licenses BUT then you have to deal with the software company. Unfortunately, many companies may want you to purchase a brand new copy of the software because losing the iLok is basically the same as if you had a hardware device lost or stolen. For example, if you lost a synth module or had it stolen at a gig, you would then have to pay for a replacement. The only thing that would provide coverage in that situation would be a separate kind of insurance for your gear or maybe some additional rider on your home owners insurance.

Of course, you could get lucky with a reasonable software company and maybe only have to pay some kind of replacement fee or none at all as long as you provide your registered serial number(s).

But that's how the system works as I understand it.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

otto
Platinum Member

2707 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guarding the thing like it's loose money sitting around, and a lot of money at that! One thing that's nice is that the design of the iLOK is such that you can attach a cord to the closed plastic loop so that it's a lot harder to lose.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
General Discussion Forums
The DigiFreq Lounge
iLOK - Zero Down-Time Protection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement