DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Recording Equipment and Instruments
 budget microphone for the studio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  12:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
I am rather new to recording (4 months into it) and I have done a lot of reading and experimenting with the equipment I have now. The equipment I have now consists of a PreSonus Firepod, Presonus Tubepre Sonar 6 Studio, MXL 990/991 Condenser microphones, M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Monitors, Audix i-5, and Shure PG57. I am also reading through Sonar 6 Power! and am learning tons, and tons of things. So, thank you Scott Garrigus.

Okay, now to my main questions.

I am aware that none of my equipment is high-quality (and not even mid-quality). So, what would be some microphones and pre-amps that would be beneficial. My budget is around $2,000 since I am only 17 and have been working hard for 6 months to acquire that money at minimum wage pay :/

I am also aware that it depends on the person and so forth but I am interested in microphones and pre-amps that would aid to bass, vocal, acoustic guitar, etc. Drums not included though.

So please, help me out?

P.S. I have heard good things about Sterling Audio ST77, Shure KSM27 and KSM 44, Electro-voice RE20, Audio-Technica 4050, and Shure SM81. Feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Edited by - Fishburn on 01/21/2008 04:08:40 AM
Report to Moderator

garrigus

USA
14512 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  1:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex,

The equipment you have already looks good. Is there a particular problem you're having? Most the of time, new equipment won't solve recording problems. It's more about environment and technique.

Thanks for reading my book!
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  2:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

And it's not so much I'm unsatisfied, it's more along the lines of quality. I have done some treatment to my room for recording (homemade reflection filter from Sound on Sound specs) that goes behind the microphones and also duvets, (bedspreads) hung behind myself and the other performers so less noise comes from behind the vocalist and acoustic guitar player.

The main problem is that with the MXL microphones they seem to be a little harsh and what seems to be slightly electronic? sounding.

So with that, maybe just some suggestions on some microphones that would be a bit higher quality that could be used on bass amplifiers, acoustic guitars and vocals since I'm quite happy with the performance of the Audix i-5.

Alex

GK_Studio
Bronze Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  4:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KSM27 has worked well for me for both male and female vocalists.

Record your bass straight in.

GK_Studio

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  4:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks GK_Studio.

I have been looking into the Shure KSM large diaphragm series and the KSM27 seems like a winner.

And bass direct seems to be the way to go since my amp is nothing special anyways. But what about acoustic guitar?

I know Mid-Side (M-S) acoustic guitar recording is quite effective (along with other stereo recording techniques) but that requires a microphone with multiple patterns if I'm not mistaken. So, when it comes to acoustic guitar recording I'm practically clueless in what would be a good choice

Alex

Edited by - Fishburn on 01/18/2008 4:51:11 PM

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  7:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shure Also makes a line of small diaphragm condensers. The KSM 109 is reasonable in price if I recalled the model number correctly.

Frequency response is nice, almost flat, And a stereo pair would not set you back to much. There are a lot of Pro level Mic's on the market. And quite a few not so pro but serviceable none the less. Some where in the middle is that "value for the money". I tend to prefer Shure but I'm not locked in. Mid_side encoding is something to be explored. I've heard great things about it but have not done enough with it to say anything.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  7:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks lawapa!

I looked into the ksm109 and they seem real good. I am curious though to what makes the SM81, ksm141, and ksm137 more expensive then the ksm109.

would the expense be worth it?

and also, with the ksm27 there is also the ksm32 which is ultimately just the same as the ksm44 but without the multiple patterns?

would this too, be worth the extra expense?

Alex

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  9:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Budget would dictate choice on this end That 81 of course is very tasty. I have had my eye on it for a while. You know your budget better than me and you also have a much better grip on how you'd use these tools which would also help in the decision making, weather a multi patten Mic would be helpful to you.

http://arts.ucsc.edu/ems/music/tech_background/TE-20/teces_20.html

Edited by - lawapa on 01/18/2008 9:49:24 PM

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again lawapa! And I am going to make sure to read every word included in the article you sent me with the link.

So, as of now I'm mostly looking into the Shure KSM series large and small diaphragm and SM81.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on other microphones that they have found very productive for vocal recordings and/or acoustic guitar recordings?

Also, does anyone know of any articles that would be useful with this subject?

Alex

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  04:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have been looking into quite a few microphones, and I've come down to these 6 choices:

Small Diaphragm
: Shure KSM137/SL and Audio-Technica AT4041.

Large Diaphragm
: Shure KSM27, Audio-Technica AT4033CL, Sterling Audio ST77, and Rode NT2-A.

If any of y'all have any experience with ANY of these microphones or have heard anything about them could you please pass on the information to me.

Any feedback on these microphones will been very, very appreciated.

Alex

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  8:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shure KSM27 And of course the 109 are owned by me. Along with the ol' sm57.

I do have a Audio Technica E/Condenser mic but don't remember the number/model.

I don't run a for profit recording studio. As such I have very limited time with other mics. So Lets hear what the studio guys use.

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  04:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you satisfied with the results of the ksm27 and 109 lawapa?
They both seem like great microphones and I have heard good things about both of them.

And some input, from quite frankly anyone, on the microphones listed below would be extremely welcome:

Small Diaphragm: Shure KSM137/SL and Audio-Technica AT4041.

Large Diaphragm: Shure KSM27, Audio-Technica AT4033CL, Sterling Audio ST77, and Rode NT2-A.

Alex

Edited by - Fishburn on 01/22/2008 04:26:22 AM

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because the mic is so instrumental to a great capture analog or digital Any review is subjective. Your ears can be the only judge. With that said You will soon enought take a chance on a mic. Shure Mic's are Aok on this end

garrigus

USA
14512 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I own and use the Shure KSM27 and I really like it. Audio-Technica makes good products too although I don't have any of the ones you listed. I do have the ATM710, which is nice.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

Fishburn

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott and lawapa!

I was calling local music stores around and a little shop not too far from my house has a 7-day grace period for people to return microphones regardless of them being opened and such. So I'm going to use that to my benefit and try out a couple of the microphones to see which would suit my needs the best.

Also, since these microphones are much more expensive then the ones I have now, what would be some good storing techniques to make they stay in top condition. I already always keep them in supplied cases when not being used, keep them out of the sun and always stay dry and cool. But, is there any thing else anyone would recommend?

Thanks again everyone.

Alex

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  8:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one. Try not to drop them or knock over the mic stand Everything else your already doing. Your good

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Recording Equipment and Instruments
budget microphone for the studio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement