DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 General Discussion Forums
 The DigiFreq Lounge
 studio monitor placement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
I've found that monitors image and sound better facing straight out than toed in toward your ears. Just my opinion.

Report to Moderator

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  10:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High end monitors disperse high frequencies with a much wider pattern than say less expensive ones? So don't need to be toed in toward the listener. Thats just a guess on my part but it makes sense your stereo image would be wider if they were not.

I bet you've got good/great room treatment so no room resonance clouds the sound.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  10:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That makes sense lawapa
It's weird, contrary to everything I read they sound better shooting staight out.
They won't image toed in but do, kinda, firing straight in this new room I built. Makes me rethink what I read about what's the correct way of doing things and every room and application's is unique.
I got absorbers on the walls around and behind me, I just thought these monitors would sound better than they do. I'm beginning to think passive is the way to go. I got a friend that has a set of $199.00 alesis monitor ones passives with a crown amp that sound and image way better than the actives I have. He's got about $600.00 in his monitor setup and I got about $2500.00 in mine.
I reckon my point is it's not always about more expensive is better, it's about the right setup. I wish I would have listened to him and got a setup like his.

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  8:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want me some new monitors or at least a new amp for the Yahama's I have.

MrMark

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It depends a lot upon your setup. I'm just in my living room, untreated space. And I have very inexpensive monitors. I prefer to lay them on their side so the tweeters are far apart as possible, and toe them in just a little. For my space, that's what works best. Or keep them straight on and move a bit further back
M

www.soundclick.com/markcourter
guitar: '75 Les Paul Custom
bass: 2007 Ibanez GSR200
Sonar SHS6XL
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Unbridled Enthusiasm

GK_Studio
Bronze Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  5:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you take a moment to explain what you mean by sound better. Do you mean better or more accurate. Do you mean you are getting a better translation?

GK_Studio

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They image better than when the're toed in. Is there a difference between better and more accurate?

Edited by - firefox on 01/31/2008 11:06:12 AM

GK_Studio
Bronze Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  2:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you probably know that some monitors can sweeten a mix and make it sound good, but not accurate. I have heard some mixes that would sound better if the speakers were unplugged... heh heh...

GK_Studio

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  3:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, no doubt. every since I've had these new speakers I haven't been really satisfied with the way they sound and I finally figured out why. It's because I have been listening to cds burned from MP3s- (A Big duh I know) I listened to a real good Al Jarreau "real" cd and they sound killer and damg what a difference.
I've actually just started my first project in Pro Tools since the new build and will probably post a song if feel it's worthy. Country though.LOL

DenHollinden

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit DenHollinden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Country music? Is there any other kind?? : )

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  6:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Country music? Is there any other kind?? : )

Well... yeah there is but these days you really have to do some deep digging. I don't think you're going to find it on the radio.
Hehehehe.... sad.
We started writing and playing country-flavored tunes a few years ago. Bob Seeger's "old fashioned rock 'n roll" wasn't finding an audience any longer. Tried to do the metal thing and sell some songs but ended up with nerve damage to my already damaged hearing. Geeze... most of that stuff is just mindless gawwd-awful noise... and I'm not a music snob... I just enjoy MUSIC. Sorry... don't want to offend anyone... keep on making yourself happy with whatever you like playing!

S~

DenHollinden

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  2:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit DenHollinden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Spanky, you're not going to get any argument from me, but then you're probably preachin' to the choir. : )

Firefox: I was actually going to comment on something on topic when I posted that, but kind of got off track. I'm thinking it's possible it might not be having your monitors towed in that makes them sound better but rather simply that you moved them a little bit. The way sound waves travel in a space is complicated and moving the source just a tiny bit could cause a big difference in what you're hearing. I guess the point (for anybody else) is that regardless of whether you like your monitors towed in or facing straight ahead, erect or tweeters out, move them around a little to see if you can get them to give you a more accurate reading of your mix.

firefox
Gold Member

USA
1459 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit firefox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I reckon it all boils down to room acoustics or maybe my new monitors sound great and it's just me.

Rampdog

28 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rampdog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by firefox

I reckon it all boils down to room acoustics or maybe my new monitors sound great and it's just me.

Ear fatigue can play a part in it too... There are days when I'm recording and putting on the headphones and taking them off... playing things back through my monitors and things just don't sound quite right... I come back the next day and magically things sound good...

PC / Windows XP Pro
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5.2
Intel i7 Quad Core
3 Gig RAM
Samson Resolv 80a Monitors
Alesis IO/2 Interface
Line6 POD 2.0
Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
Korg K61 P / Midi Keyboard
Assorted Guitars

GK_Studio
Bronze Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firefox, there is probably more to that "it's just me" than most people give credit too. It's great that you would even stop to consider that. Most people don't and go by the "if it sounds good to you" approach which is, well stupid.

As engineers we have to train ourselves as to what sounds good and what doesn't. My first mixes 15 years ago sounded great! And I hope that all those tapes have since burned! But hey, they sounded good to me.

The best thing to do is just go sit in a great studio for an hour or two with a pro and listen to the way things sound (they won't sound the way you would expect them to I promise). Then go home and work at recreating the sound.

I think you know where I'm heading with this but saw your comment and thought I would through in my 2 cents.

GK_Studio

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  1:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
they won't sound the way you would expect them to I promise

I had little to no real experience recording when I first went to a studio to record. But the experience was profound "at least for me".

The deck was a pro 4 track open real so our group did bounces. Guitars and bass then drums and last vocals. The engineer was eq-ing out most of what I thought should have stayed yet the end mix sounded prefect. This is a bad analogy since analog is long gone and the techniques used back then do not apply now. Yet the basics have changed little. Our home stereo's are better now than what most had back then and the usable frequency range is expanded a tad

Vinyl had some major limitations to address and even though a project might never see a pressing the engineers still worked toward that goal as I suppose they should have. Habit maybe?

This has little to do with monitor placement but GK's reference to "it would not sound as you'd think it would" Got me to thinking just how surprised I was at what happened to the recorded sound on the way to a dub down to final mix. The engineer had to plan ahead before anything was captured regarding what came up in the next step in the overall process. All done without the luxury of having all the tracks on his board at his finger tips.

Magic Rat productions 30+ years ago. On Alabama boulevard Houston Texas. I still have the dudes buisness card.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
General Discussion Forums
The DigiFreq Lounge
studio monitor placement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement