DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
SONAR X3 Power! - The Comprehensive Guide
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Mixing and Mastering
 MP3 Audio Clipping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thewordsmith

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  5:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit thewordsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
The WordSmith has an audio production question.

Here is a situation. I just mixed a new track. Set the audio volume to -0.01bd with a limiter. Bounced the track from Cakewalk down to a wave file. The wave file is not clipping because of the limiter. Now it is time create the MP3 file.

LAME is the most popular MP3 software used by Napster, Amazon….. and is free. I use it to convert a WAVE file into an MP3 file. So I run the command line prompt like:

lame.exe "File.wav" "FilE.mp3" –option --option --clipdetect.

Notice the ClipDetect option. In several case I have noticed that despite having created a wave file that is not clipping. Lame has detected a volume above -0.01db which is clipping. So I fix that problem with --scale 0.99 or what ever Lame suggests.

Now I have a MP3 song that is not clipping according to Lame. But I am just thinking that each audio playback software is different and may detect a clip instance even though a new LIMITER has been put on the MP3 file.

So my questions are:

1) Should I bounce the wave file down to some thing less than -0.01db then see what LAME say about clipping? Or is it safe to get right on the clipping edge?
2) When clipping is detected what is lost?
3) Do you lose on the vocal or instrumental side or both?

Report to Moderator

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  8:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The measurements you're posting probably aren't producing any audible clipping effect. Personally I don't get crazy over clipping unless I can hear it. And I think it's obvious that today's record industry doesn't give a shite about it, with all the distortion we hear in so much of what's printed for mainstream consumption.

Sounds like you're safe to me, as long as you're not constantly clipping. And bringing down your levels to -0.01dB is great.

I use LAME as well. Can't say I'm always happy with it but it beats the heck out of some of the other hack app's out there that mangle your bits.

Always fly high
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

thewordsmith

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  11:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit thewordsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. Real talk! I am also worried about acceptance on the Radio.

Some of the demos made with CakeWalk & Lame are available at

http://soundcloud.com/sulaiman-the-wordsmith/

You input is appreciated.

thewordsmith

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  11:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit thewordsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main concern is also does clipping or having to use --scale 0.99.... or what ever LAME suggest in the event of a clip cause a lost of vocals, instruments or both?

thewordsmith

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  12:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit thewordsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at what some people are saying in the CakeWalk form. My feeling is that they are right.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2468531&mpage=1#2468697

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  1:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thewordsmith asked the exact same question word for word in the thread thewordsmith posted here. Why would the wordsmith do that?

Looks like thewordsmith has plenty of answers and has everything under control.

Always fly high
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Mixing and Mastering
MP3 Audio Clipping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2014 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement