DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Unofficial Manufacturer Forums
 Cakewalk Music Software
 Comping - track layers cross fade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnol

4 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  2:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Is it possible to apply cross fades when you are using track layers to mute and solo clips from several layers?
Or use Automatic Crossfades with track layers.

Scott by the way I have read that you are thinking about some tutorials for sonar. I would really like to see some audio editing tutorials that go slightly beyond the beginner level, for example
a guitar solo where the parts are rearranged, some notes are fixed etc and detail on the snap to grid all in context. One thing that is left out of Sonar tutorials is more explanation, and examples of when to use slip editing etc.

Thanks
John

Report to Moderator

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To do what you've described is possible but would involve an extra step. If all the tracks your going to edit involve a single instrument/multiple takes I would run my edits down to a new track leaving the originals in place but muted/archived. You can marker the chosen parts for later reference creating regions.

The step by step is simple. Chose the beginning part you like and using cntrl/shift/drag copy the part to the new track. then close the window to have only your selection showing in the clip window. Now move to your second selection, close the window off so nothing gets caught behind you first part cntrl/shift/drag and close the window to the part for your third selection always closing the window down so a copy/drag puts nothing behind the earlier selection.

Why would you do this? Cross fades will only work in same track. If any selection needs trimming so a cross fade does not expose a partial note/cord do so because your not really cutting the original track or editing something where you could not go back and redo.

Slip editing to fine tune timing is a breeze on this end and with a ctrl/shift/drag the part dragged to the new track will not change position in relation to the time line on the track where it was moved from. Closing a window down on a track will change nothing in the original track and is a easy undo.

I forgot to add that crossfades work wonders on edits like this. Your selection of fade curves is not as extensive as in Vegas but good just the same.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

Edited by - lawapa on 05/03/2008 7:07:21 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  7:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad this layering subject has come up. I'm just starting to figure out the best way to put together a composite track.

quote:
The step by step is simple. Chose the beginning part you like and using cntrl/shift/drag copy the part to the new track. then close the window to have only your selection showing in the clip window. Now move to your second selection, close the window off so nothing gets caught behind you first part cntrl/shift/drag and close the window to the part for your third selection always closing the window down so a copy/drag puts nothing behind the earlier selection.

Larry,
What do you mean by "closing the window"?

Thanks,
S~

lawapa

USA
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  9:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each tracks waveform is shown in a window. So if you place your cursor at the beginning of the track you can close down the window. Everything you cover up by closing the window will not be played. And the start of the track will be delayed by however much of the beginning you hide. If a part is closer to the middle of a track and you cut the track at the beginning of your edit you can close the window at the cut from both directions silencing any part you wish to edit out.

If you would like to edit out a bad note and have the track continue without pause you can at the cut, window out the note and drag the tail back to over lap the part you edited out. If you have cross fade engaged the end of the downstream part will fade out as the upstream part fades in. Making the edit sound as if it's a continuous part without the blank space common with a note deletion where no cross fade was used.

To get a feel for this kind of surgical editing take a track and export it,then re import it into a test project and play around with these new tools. It won't be long before you'll get the idea. you can rearrange the order of any run, group of cords and have it sound pretty good for a chop up.

Heres an Idea. If you double a track with itself phasing problems can/will crop up but most songs repeat cords. If you double a cord run with a run from a different part of the song these are now not the same and you can double a run with the same run from a different part of the song with incurring the ol phase cancellation thing. It does work cause I do it all the time. If timing is a tad off cut the double and match up the attack transients or better yet leave a little difference for a fatter sound.

Love to make that music,as well I love to tweak,Make my own sample sets

Spanky
Silver Member

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  10:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Thanks for all the info. I'll put it to good use... I got a tone deaf singer that's trying to sing a harmony vocal. Sheesh!

Hey, I watched that YouTube "freeze" video. What a great idea. If we tried that here at Union Station in downtown L.A., we'd all get arrested!

S~

garrigus

USA
14514 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  2:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit garrigus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Automatic crossfades sort of work with track layers. Let's say you have two overlapping clips each on separate layers. If you SHIFT + drag one clip on to the layer of the other, then an auto crossfade will be created. Then you need to SHIFT + drag the clip back to its own layer and the auto crossfade will remain. But unfortunately, there's no way to just specify that all overlapping clips on separate layers are automatically crossfaded. By the way, the SHIFT key is used so that the clip won't move horizontally when you're dragging it and thus won't move from it's original position along the time ruler.

Yep, I'm working on my first video tutorial as we speak. Thanks for the audio editing idea... I will definitely consider it.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Unofficial Manufacturer Forums
Cakewalk Music Software
Comping - track layers cross fade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement