DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed
*** Win FREE music recording software and hardware... Click Here! ***
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums
Home | Profile | Register | New Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

New Topics List
 All Forums
 Recording Forums
 Recording Equipment and Instruments
 guitar tuning approach by James Taylor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  1:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  [Reply to Topic]  | [Reply w/ Quote]
Using Taylorís method, each strings would be tuned several cents flat of A440 as such:

1st E: -3 cents
2nd B: -6
3rd G: -4
4th D: -8
5th A: -10
6th E: -12 cents

The JT YouTube of this is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArjPts

and then Paul Davids' video on JT's approach with demos of him (PD)playing a variety of songs in standard and then JT's tuning methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvthw9XZrmw

I have my own method, so I hope to compare mine to JT's this afternoon.

There is one huge factor that neither mentioned and that is the nut
Your guitar's nut can drastically affect it's tuning/intonation. If not properly seated in relation to the first (or all of them really) fret, you'll never get in tune.

If the slots aren't cut deep enough, you'll be sharp when you fret, especially the first fret.

In an attempt to deal with it, I had all my "guitars" modded with intonated nuts. This was back around 2000. I still have 4 of those 34 instruments (the rest went during 2008-11 housing disaster that ended in Chapter7). They were all made by one repairman. I bought a couple Earvana nuts but haven't installed them on anything yet.

I now have a number of guitars without intonated nuts, but I've had them al checked for "proper placement and string notch cut depth". Several of these got the nut moved forward (toward the bridge) to play/intonate much more accurately.

My '80s Takamine nylon C132s got an intonated nut, but though improved I still felt dissatisfied with it. Another excellent repairman, measured and found the nut and the bridge were both off. As I wanted a Fishman pickup installed on it, I had him widen the bridge saddle and make me a new properly seated nut. $250 later, I have a very nice sounding and in tune nylon guitar.

I have found that I am quite happy having some of each of the intonated and "non" but well placed, especially when "paired up" in song tracks. This reminds me of Sir George Martin saying he "kind of preferred guitars to be "close but not quite in tune with each other".

RE Capos I usually tune each string to the Kurzweil K2500's 777 piano which has less "sweet tuning". I've been quite pleased with that approach for the past 17 years.

I also started processing my bass guitar tracks with Auto Tune 4 about 15 years ago(then V -Vocal). I'm more pleased with the post Melodyne 4 Studio bass parts, even though my current Fender Blacktop Jazz bass (2 P pickups) has much better intonation than my G&L L1000 had, which got me into the habit to begin with

I've read about a number of folks who tune flat.... but I never tried it. Time to experiment!

Food for thought, eh?!?!
Michael

i7 Win10 4790k 4Ghz 32gb DDR3+1Tb WD+2x2Tb Seagate, 2-24"BenQ, ASUS/ROG i7-2670QM 16gb laptop 2-500gb 7200rpm +1Tb-ext Win 10
SPLAT4Life, Melodyne Studio4, Mixbus3, Rapture Pro, Z3ta+2, BFD2+Zpack, GPO5, Groove Agent4, PSP(20), AAS GS2+ EP4, AmpliTube4, T-Racks Grand, ST3 + Miroslav2,
Fishman Aura Spectrum(2), Scarlett 18i20+OctoPre MkII, Tascam us1641, Warm Audio WA76+TB12(990C+), PreSonus MP20(BB opamps), ISA One, Gold Digger, Cherry Picker, X-Amp, Pigtronix Keymaster, Equator D5, Yorkville YSM-1, Fender Mustang Floor+Princeton Rev, Kurz K2500, Virus Ti2, CAD e100s, Kel Song Sparrow, Mojave MA200 + MA101fet, Beyer M160, AKG C480b/uls+CK61, PV RAB1,+ Alesis ControlPad +22 AC+Elec guitars-baritones-mandolins, bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle+10 harmonicas to bug our dog+cats!
Report to Moderator

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The artist I recently covered - Sean Rowe, tunes down a half step then another 10 cents down from there. I've actually been enjoying that tuning. It is also the case that a lot of cheap guitars sound so much better when tuned down a half step. Played a Washburn D9 once that sounded absolutely beautiful tuned down a half step. Bought it. Tuned to 440 though...forget about it. Terrible. And I always tune the low E off by about 10 cents. Going to try the Sweet Baby James thing tomorrow.

Always fly high
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  09:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
432hz? Is that what you're talking about?

I've messed with tuning down a half step since early on in my guitar playing path. Records were so rarely "in tune", back in the '60s, that I would tune to the record to learn all the parts and play along, whenever I had a recording to study. (which was a daily thing!).

I don't recall who or where, but I knew that Hendrix was tuned down and later Poco, who I really enjoyed.

I've considered doing 2 versions of a song, one in standard 440hz and one in 432hz to see how I feel about it. I've tried playing in that "tuning", and like it on some of my acoustics.

Once I found out how the Beatles were getting some of their sounds and realized it was like Les Paul halving/doubling his tape speed, then those "rules" went out the window.

It's always fun to experiment and chuck the rules! LOL
Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  8:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Personally I think the tuning is all about being in the vocalists very best range.

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  9:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of guitars sounding like they have really thick big strings! LOL like cast iron or something!

especially since I don't have to actually play them!

I see the key, as the key to the vocalist sounding their best.

Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  11:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcintalker

I like the idea of guitars sounding like they have really thick big strings! LOL like cast iron or something!

especially since I don't have to actually play them!

I see the key, as the key to the vocalist sounding their best.

Michael

With good compression technique you can accomplish that "thick big strings" effect.

However, lately I've been looking at Guild's American made M20. Its got that dry, woody tone that's like a dull, dead, dark tone with big bottom without being boomy or muddy. Would love to work with a tone like that in mixing.

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  1:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Assuming it's one of the Cordoba ownership Guilds, I imagine it's quite nice.

I've played a number of Martin mahogany topped smaller bodies over the past year and they are sounding better and better all the time.

My Taylor Baby Mah is still strung up for my "dobro", but I'm thinking it's time to turn it into my high string. I enjoyed it a lot, when I got it. It had regular tuning/strings on it and I found it, a very pleasant sound/tone.

Where are you going to check out guitars, etc, now that you've moved to your new place? Farmington? I used to gig there, but don't recall the music shop(s).

My local shop carries Cordoba, but hasn't gotten any Guilds. I'm hoping they do! I'd love to check out .... BUY! a couple acoustic and electric Guilds!

Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Assuming it's one of the Cordoba ownership Guilds, I imagine it's quite nice.

I've played a number of Martin mahogany topped smaller bodies over the past year and they are sounding better and better all the time.

My Taylor Baby Mah is still strung up for my "dobro", but I'm thinking it's time to turn it into my high string. I enjoyed it a lot, when I got it. It had regular tuning/strings on it and I found it, a very pleasant sound/tone.

Where are you going to check out guitars, etc, now that you've moved to your new place? Farmington? I used to gig there, but don't recall the music shop(s).

My local shop carries Cordoba, but hasn't gotten any Guilds. I'm hoping they do! I'd love to check out .... BUY! a couple acoustic and electric Guilds!

Michael

Yeah, the Guilds are recent american builds from California. I would love to have a Martin mahog top version of my OM but the Guild M20 just has such a unique tone from what I've heard in the demo's. That Nick Drake dry, dull big bottom woody tone. Its actually smaller than an OM but 1.8" at the nut, which is a big plus for me.

Auditioning one is not an option unfortunately. Closest place would be Albuquerque, they have a GC and Grandma's Music but they don't carry the American Guilds so I'm screwed on that. Will look to see if there's any place in Farmington but if Burque doesn't have it, they won't.

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grandma's! I knew Mickey when he started it up..... back in Albuquerque. I got my Ensoniq EPS there and tons of other stuff. We actually got to talk on the phone about 12+ years back....Lots of great shops in Albq.

Durango CO had a nice guitar store and it seems Flagstaff did, too, but of course that was more than 20 years ago when I gigged out there.

Nick Drake! Exactly. Plus Jackson Browne's first and Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman, both come to mind with dark-ish acoustics.

I've still never tried flatwounds on an acoustic and I suppose I'll have to rectify that!

Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  9:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Grandma's! I knew Mickey when he started it up..... back in Albuquerque. I got my Ensoniq EPS there and tons of other stuff. We actually got to talk on the phone about 12+ years back....Lots of great shops in Albq.

Durango CO had a nice guitar store and it seems Flagstaff did, too, but of course that was more than 20 years ago when I gigged out there.

Nick Drake! Exactly. Plus Jackson Browne's first and Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman, both come to mind with dark-ish acoustics.

I've still never tried flatwounds on an acoustic and I suppose I'll have to rectify that!

Michael

As far as I know Mickey still owns Grandma's and they seem to be doing well. The did move the store to the Westside though.

I love flatwounds on my Martin, Thomastik Infeld's to be specific. Worth the money IMO. You might be able to tell from the tone of my Martin.

Found a small shop in Burque that has one Guild M20 in stock. Can't make it out there til the 26th, hope they still have it.

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your Thomastik Infeld's? Are those the electric Jazz Swing ones? or their Classic Rope Core nylon tape wounds?

A pal swears by their flatwounds for his Eastwood Classic electric 12 string (the 6122 clone).

I used Pearse Folk Singers on my Alvarez Artist Fusion for my brunch gig. That was 7 years of Sundays and my all time favorite gig, doing whatever popped into my mind!

I just went through my string drawer and found the remains of a set from 2005! They are rope core flatwounds. Though they are sold as John Pearse Folk Series, they are made by Thomastic Infeld, which is listed right on the package.

So, I'm betting that's what you're using/referring to, am I correct?

Michael

dirtysteve
Gold Member

USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirtysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using the "Plectrums"

Always fly high

mcintalker
Platinum Member

USA
5703 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  11:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcintalker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah

Thanks I'll look those up.

Michael
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topics List
All Forums
Recording Forums
Recording Equipment and Instruments
guitar tuning approach by James Taylor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq - Forums © 1999-2017 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
DigiFreq: Home | MusicTechShop | Downloads (Free Music Software) | Videos | Music | Tips | Articles | Newsletter (FREE) | Deals | Gift Shop | Issues | Recommend | News | Reviews | Discuss (Forums) | Contest | RSS Feed

DigiFreq is for informational purposes only. - Disclosure Statement